Chapter 22

At the time of the morning, the birds were hovering over the building. A hospital name was mocked on the building. In one of its rooms, Neil was admitted.

Neil was staring at Avni who was sleeping. Neil stared at her for some time then he moves his arm and Avni woke up. She was sleepy, she looked at Neil who was looking at her and Avni frowns and thinks. She recalled everything and got up instantly. Neil was looking at her, Avni looked down and keeps the hair strand behind her ear.

Avni: sorry, don't know when I slept.

Neil was looking at her. He was guilty of his last night's behaviour. He was happy about her achievement but Vidyut ruined everything.

Avni: how are you now?

Neil: better.

Avni: I should call the doctor.

Avni goes and Neil thinks.

Neil: I overreacted last night. What was Avni's mistake if I did not get the award? Avni got for what she did hard work. She achieved that award, that recognition on the behalf of her hard work and you ruined everything by getting into Vidyut's words. You ruined Avni's happiness also. Tch.

Neil thinks. The doctor entered the room and Avni came behind him.

Doctor: how are you, Mr Khanna?

Neil: better.

Doctor: good.

The doctor checked him. Neil was looking at Avni who was observing Doctor checking Neil.

Doctor: today, we will discharge you but you have to take proper rest for at least one week. Ok.

Neil: sure, Doctor.

Doctor: good.

Avni: Doctor, what can he eat?

Doctor: try to give him light food for some days then he can eat anything.

Avni nods.

The doctor goes with the nurse.

Neil: where is papa?

Avni: I send him home at night, you know about his back pain if he stays here then it could increase his pain so I asked him to go.

Neil: you did right, Avni, but you should also go with him. Why did you stay here?

Avni: you were here how could I go home?

Neil: why?

Avni: because you are my...

Avni stopped. Neil smiled.

Neil: you are my... You are my what, Avni?

Avni: ab, aa, you, you must be hungry. Let me see something for you to eat then you have to take medicine.

Neil felt disappointed. He looked down. Avni turns to go but a ward boy came there carrying a tray of soup.

Ward boy: sir, your soup. You have to have it today.

Neil makes a face, and Avni smiled.

Ward boy: you can eat or I feed you, sir.

Neil: no, my wife can feed me.

Avni looked at him. Neil turns his face to her, and Avni looked down. Avni took the tray from the ward boy who goes after giving that to Avni. Avni sat on the bed and feeds Neil who winced and touched his lips.

Avni: sorry.

Avni blows the spoon and Neil looked at her and he forgets his pain. Avni feeds him. When she blows the soup, Neil looked at her lips, her hair which was moving slightly. Neil stared at her and drank but his all concentration was on Avni. Neil came back to reality when the door knocks. Neil felt to break the head of the person but he remains silent to see his father. Avni got up.