Smile for the Camera

Mrs. Brown POV

As soon as Allan and I got back from Best Buy, we installed our camera at the front door right away. We set it up at the perfect angle on the wall so no one could see it, and by no one I meant the alleged murderer just in case, she came back. We downloaded an app on our phones and watched the hallway at least every hour to report anything suspicious. 

"Honey, you've been watching that app for over 2 hours now. I don't think she's coming back knowing the police are looking for her." Allan was sitting at the kitchen table reading the newspaper. 

"How can they start looking for her if they don't even know what she looks like? I didn't see her face remember. My description of her was only of her clothes." I was washing dishes but my phone was sitting at an angle on top of the counter where I could see everything that was happening in the hallway. It was very quiet. No one was in sight but I was still watching. 

"You need to give yourself a break or else you'll go crazy." He said while laughing. 

"No, I will go crazy if I don't watch because I will be nervous thinking that she will come back."

"Okay, whatever you say. I'm going to get ready for bed. It's been a long day. You probably should too." He got up and walked toward me planting a kiss on my forehead.

"I'll be there soon just gotta finish cleaning up the kitchen."

"Okay. See you soon." Then he left for the bedroom. 

I finished washing the dishes and put our leftover dinner of mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, and fried chicken into the fridge.

I was not entirely sleepy yet or maybe I was just fighting the urge to sleep because I was so focused on being a watch guard, either way, after I finished cleaning up, I sat on the couch in the living room, turned the TV on, and started watching Madea's Diary of a Mad Black Woman on BET. 

I checked my phone every 5 minutes throughout the movie. Still nothing. Eventually. I gave up. "Maybe Allan is right. Maybe I should give myself a break." I thought. I looked at the time before I exited the app. It was 9 pm. 

I laid back on the couch and continued to watch the movie. I laughed until I cried during most of the scenes because we all know Madea is hilarious as hell. I tried not to laugh too loud because I did not want to wake up Allan. I was 100% sure that he was knocked out by now. Whenever his stomach was full, he would go straight to sleep right after. He loved his food, especially some good mac and cheese with fried chicken. Thank God for whoever invented that; I don't know what he would have done if that did not exist. 

I was about an hour and a half into the movie when I started to feel sleepy. I started dosing off when I felt my phone on the edge of the couch vibrate. I jumped up and looked at it and saw the alleged murderer in the hallway! She was leaving Justin's apartment again. This time, she wasn't wearing her hoodie so I saw her face. How did she get past the yellow tapes and what was she doing here again? I had so many questions.

 Thank God we bought that camera. Surprise surprise bitch! I finally got you now. I could not wait to show this to the detective tomorrow. Now, I could finally get a peaceful sleep tonight.