Chapter 3

Cami

"Dinner!" Mom called and I hurried down to the kitchen.

I quickly got waters for everyone and set the table. I did it every night, just to make things easier. I sat in my normal spot next to Rachel and served myself some salad and chicken.

"How was your day?" Mom asked Rachel.

"It was great! The new guy from yesterday is in my science class." She said that like it was some big accomplishment.

"That's great sweetheart!"

"I think he's going to ask me out."

I stayed quiet through dinner like I usually do, letting Mom and Rachel do the talking. Dad was working late again so he wasn't eating with us. We were all used to his busy schedule by now though. It's been this way for years.

"You and Dad are coming to the game next week right?" Rachel asked Mom.

"Of course sweetie. We wouldn't miss it."

"I'm going to see if Nico will come. You can meet him."

"May I be excused?" I asked. "I have homework."

"Clear the table first."

I cleared the table as fast as I could and rushed upstairs to my room.

I didn't actually have homework, but sometimes family dinner was just too exhausting for me and I didn't want to hear more about Rachel's perfect stupid life. I know that's rude and selfish, but I can't help it. Everything she does is perfect and my parents are so proud of her. I would give anything for them to be proud of me the way they are of her. Like I said, selfish.

Since Nico was driving me this morning, I had time to eat an actual breakfast. I tuned out Mom and Rachel's conversation about the cheer squad and ate my pancake in silence.

I expected Nico to text me when he got here, but instead there was a knock on the door.

"I'll get it!" I shouted, but my mom was already at the door.

"Hi. I'm here for Cami, I'm giving her a ride to school."

"Hi," I said as I rushed to the door. I was closing it behind me when a shrill voice rang out behind me.

"Nico?"

"Um, hi Rachel," he said.

"What are you doing here?"

I was now sandwiched between Nico and Rachel and I was quite uncomfortable.

"I'm giving Cami a ride to school," Nico repeated.

"Oh. How nice of you." I didn't miss Rachel looking down her nose at me. I wished I could melt into a puddle on the ground.

"We should get going," Nico told Rachel and I used that excuse to close the door in her face.

"Sorry about that," I mumbled once we were inside Nico's car.

"It's ok," he said and turned on some music.

I relaxed a little bit once my house was out of sight, but I knew Rachel was mad. She wanted Nico and he was giving me a ride to school. It wasn't like that, but to her it was the ultimate betrayal.

The ride to school was quiet, but not uncomfortable. I sat and listened to the music while I watched the world pass by through the window. It was peaceful.

____________________________________

Nico

I'd hoped to miss seeing Rachel when I picked up Cami, but no such luck. She was always there and it was annoying. And I didn't miss the way she sneered down at Cami. It was hard to believe the two girls were related. Cami was so sweet and Rachel was so...not.

Cami was quiet during the ride to school. She rested her head on the window and stared out. She looked so peaceful. I wanted to keep driving all day just so she could stay like that.

When I parked, Cami jumped out of the car and I had to run to catch up to her as she sped away from me.

"Cami, wait up," I called out to her, but she didn't stop.

When I caught up to her, I placed a hand on her shoulder and she stopped.

"Why are you running off?" I asked and she shrugged. She seemed uncomfortable. Had I done something?

"Did I do something to upset you?" I asked and her eyes widened.

"No!" she practically shouted.

"I mean, no," she said more calmly this time.

I thought she was going to tell me more, but instead she turned and kept walking toward the building. I stopped her again with a hand on her shoulder.

"What's wrong Cami?"

"Nothing," she whispered and nervously chewed her lip.

"Cami, I can tell something's wrong. Tell me so I can make it better."

She looked up at me, confused. Her eyebrows were furrowed and her head was slightly tilted.

"Why?" she asked, her voice so soft I could barely hear.

"Why what?"

"Why do you care?"

Now I had the confused look. What did she mean? Why wouldn't I care?

"I just do. Now will you please tell me what's wrong?"

Cami fidgeted with her hands and chewed her lip, but eventually she sighed and relented.

"I upset Rachel," she whispered.

"How?"

"I rode with you to school."

"And that upset her?"

Cami nodded. She hadn't looked me in the eye this whole time. Her gaze was fixed on the ground.

"That's not your fault Cami. You are allowed to hang out with whoever you want. Rachel doesn't control that."

Cami shrugged and went back to walking. I didn't stop her this time, just walked with her to class.

Why was Rachel affecting her so much? She was her own individual person and she was allowed to have friends. Just because I didn't want to hang out with Rachel, didn't mean Cami couldn't hang out with me.

We got to class and Cami sunk down into her desk. She didn't say hi to her friends, just got out her journal and started working. She didn't look up once or say anything during class and I was worried.