Chapter 22

Cami

I was in a blank void, surrounded by white.

"Hello?" I called out.

Was this Heaven? I doubt it's Hell, although that's where I assumed I'd be going.

"Cami!" a voice I hadn't heard in years called out.

I looked around and saw my baby brother bounding over to me.

"Bailey? Is that really you?"

I scooped him up in my arms, determined to never let go again.

"Of course it is. Who else would it be?"

I laughed at my brother's words before remembering why I was here.

"Oh Bailey, I'm so sorry. This is all my fault."

"It's ok Cami, it was a mistake. I don't blame you."

"I never meant any of those things I said to you Bailey. I love you so much. I've missed you."

"I've missed you too."

Bailey jumped out of my arms and began walking away. I tried to follow, but I was stuck in place. It was like my feet were superglued to the floor.

"Where are you going?" I called out to Bailey.

"Back where I belong," he said.

"But what about me?"

"It's not your time yet."

My brother faded from view and the world around me blurred into darkness.

Beep
Beep
Beep

I tried moving to shut off my alarm clock but I couldn't. Everything hurt.

Beep
Beep
Beep

I tried to ignore my alarm, hoping it'd give up after a while or someone would come turn it off, but neither of those happened. My head was pounding and I really needed the beeping to stop. I cracked my eyes open, but immediately regretted it and clamped them shut again. Why was it so bright?

"Cami?"

I groaned. My head felt like it was going to split in two.

"Cami, open your eyes beautiful."

I knew that voice. I loved that voice.

I let my eyes blink open and this time the room wasn't as bright. Only a lamp in the corner illuminated it.

Nico's face hovered over mine and his thumb caressed my cheek.

"I'm alive," I croaked. My voice was dry and I sounded like a dying frog.

"Yes," Nico said. "And I've never been more grateful for anything."

Nico reached over and got a cup, bringing it to my lips so I could take a sip. The water slid down my throat, providing great relief to my sore throat. I drank the whole cup and then half of another.

"I'm sorry," I whispered to Nico when I was done. "I was just so tired of ruining everyone's lives. The weight was too much."

"Oh Cami."

"I gave my mom the painting and she hated it. I had no right giving it to her when I was the one who took him away."

"Why didn't you call me?"

"I..." I didn't want to tell Nico I was eavesdropping on him, but I knew I had to. I owed him an explanation. "I just ran. And I kept running until I somehow ended up at your apartment."