II - Boulden nowadays. (2/2)

On seeing her, Deirane's face was shining with such joy that Hester hadn't seen in months.

"Are these your men?" she asked.

"Who else but me would recruit chess players?"

"I thought the free warriors were independent."

"These are soldiers, I'm the only free warrior in this room."

"Helarieal soldiers here! Does the Prince of Boulden tolerate this?"

"How could he object?"

The two women hugged each other like two old friends.

"Saalyn, I never thought I would see you again."

"It's a small world, we were bound to run into each other sooner or later."

Saalyn. Hester didn't know that name, but not everyone in the room did. Most of the soldiers turned to get a better look at the one bearing it. As for her one-night stand, he seemed to have given up his plans and was now trying to get away from her as quietly as possible. The looks that came her way were of fear or admiration, often both. At their table, the Helariaseny seemed quite satisfied with the effect their companion had produced.

Saalyn had good reason to be famous. As the first free warrior in Helaria, she had enjoyed almost a century of success and few failures. Her original mission, to rescue and return Helaria's slaves to their homeland, had quickly spilled over. She had ended up bringing everyone back, regardless of race. For example, she had brought the first Edorians into the Pentarchy, turning it into a multi-ethnic State. It was estimated that, either directly or through their descendants, half of Helaria's inhabitants owed their freedom to her.

Paradoxically, while she was feared for her talents as a warrior, it was in this field that she was least known. Her missions were more about spying than direct attack. She was a master of stealth and camouflage in a world where these two words didn't yet exist. So, her greatest successes were unknown to the general public.

Her intelligence, her beauty, her gifts as an observer, her ability to play any role, to bluff, her tenacity, everything was a weapon and she freely used them to accomplish her mission.

Her consecration came when, eighty years earlier, she had brought back into the fold the Pentarchs who had disappeared during the war against the Feythas. But what she was best known for wasn't even an act she had performed herself: the revenge led by her fellow guild members against Jergo the Younger, the one who ironically had made her his personal slave, two decades earlier. A cruel revenge, worthy of what she had suffered at that time.

So, this is what Saalyn was, this nonchalant Stoltzin slumped against the counter of this tavern. And she spoke to Deirane like an old friend.

"Have something to drink and come join me there," she said, "and explain this matter to me."

She pointed to a discreet alcove. She was busy, but as she approached, the drinkers suddenly remembered that they had an urgent business elsewhere.

When Deirane and Hester joined her, the beautiful free warrior wasn't alone. Four Helariaseny were sitting next to her, all Stoltzts. They took their places on the free bench.

"Deirane," Saalyn began, "it's been a long time since we last saw each other."

"Twenty years ago."

"And all this time, you haven't been able to find a single moment to come and see us?"

"I've been very busy all these years."

"I know, we've followed a lot of your exploits."

"So, you knew where to find me all this time, why didn't you come?"