IX - Chabawck twenty years earlier. (2/2)

Jensen looked at the amber liquid in his goblet, swirled it around a bit before answering.

"I haven't considered failure until now."

"Yet you must. Gem magic is at work in your daughter. Only they know how to box up their spells and sell them. Their talents are different from that of a Bawck. The shaman will certainly not be able to break it."

"I suppose she'll marry a peasant who will take her as she is and give her many children. I will certainly have to add a high dowry."

"Personally, I have a doubt. I know your people. Don't take this as derogatory, but I know how they will react. She has been defiled by a gem, maybe even deflowered. No one will want to marry her even with a royal dowry that you can't give her anyway."

Jensen's reaction was so violent that he half stood up.

"She hasn't been deflowered," he cried, "she still has her virtue."

"Calm down, I'm not trying to insult your daughter, I'm just trying to put myself in the Yrianis' shoes and anticipate their reactions. I know she's still a virgin, you know it too. Only the others don't know. I guess she shouldn't be telling everyone that sort of thing. They'll imagine things and end up believing it's the truth."

Under Festor's light grip, Jensen sat back down.

"Then I'll keep her with me and take care of her."

"She'll then live like Jalia with me. Even worse. Jalia lives with me by choice. She will be by obligation. And what will you do when she wants children? At present she's young. One day, she'll be an adult, she'll want to. And then ..."

Jensen looked up from his goblet and looked at the Stoltzin, waiting for more.

"She's much younger than you. What's there between you, fifteen years? Twenty? More than that? What will she do when you're gone?"

"She has brothers and sisters..."

"Who will you ask to take care of her? Maybe her siblings will agree, but will their husbands and children agree to see their possessions wasted on a useless aunt?"

Jensen took another drink before asking:

"What solution do you propose?"

Festor hesitated for a moment before answering. He had known an earlier time when Stoltzts were hated just because they weren't human. While the situation had changed in the big cities, in the countryside - like the one the peasant came from - that racism was still prevalent. He thought he knew how Jensen would react. Still, he had to say it."

"Send her to Helaria," he said at last.

He wasn't disappointed. The peasant's face flushed.

"My daughter! To your home! Never!"

In anger, Jensen threw the goblet and stood up. Festor stood up also, facing him, and put his hands on his shoulders.

"Think about it," he said, "at home, she'll be unhappy. She'll be an outcast, shunned by everyone. In Helaria, things will be different. Our country was founded by the Stoltzts, but we have opened up to other peoples and have Edorians, Dwergrs, and humans among us. There is even a small community of apterous gems who have somehow accepted the authority of the Pentarchs. We are used to being around people who are different. With us, she won't shock anyone. Can she read?"

"She knows the letters and can write her name."

"That's a good start. In Helaria, she'll be able to get an education, learn a trade. Her appearance won't bother anyone. Some people may even find her beautiful, and she may meet a man who will make her happy."