Imagine Beating Race at Poker

"Hey, (y/n)!" Race calls from across the room. "Wanna play poker with Mush and me?"

You hesitate. You don't know a thing about poker, yet you don't want to admit it. It seems everyone in the Lodging House knows how to play except you. But, not wanting to let Race down, you answer, "Alright, but just for one round."

His whole face lights up as you make your way over and sit on the floor next to him. You smile, glad that you are able to make him so happy.

He deals you in. You intently watch the boys' every move. They look at their cards; you look at your cards. You try to copy exactly what they do. Race is biting down hard on is cigar. Mush throws two quarters into the center of the circle. Race puts down a dollar.

You realize that they are both looking at you now, waiting for you to place your bet. A little unsurely, you put down six quarters, making yours the highest bet at $1.50.

Race throws down his cards. Mush groans and puts his down. You tentatively lay down your cards.

"How?!?" Race cries.

Mush shoves the pile of money toward you.

Not understanding, you stammer, "I won?"

"You had the best hand you possibly could!" Race exclaims. "But didn't you know that? You bet so high...?"

"I've actually never played poker before," you admit, tucking a lock of (h/c) hair behind your ear.

"I got beat by a girl that's never played poker before," Race mutters in disbelief.

"Beginner's luck, I guess!" you laugh.