Imagine Davey Helping You through Anxiety

"Five minutes, honey!" Medda calls to you. In the dressing room, you finish putting on a gaudy hat over your (h/c) curls and smooth your (fav/c) skirt. How had she talked you into this?

The other day, Medda had caught you quietly singing a show tune while sweeping the stage. "You're a natural!" she had exclaimed, and she insisted that you sing in her next show. She wouldn't take 'no' for an answer. So here you are, about to go on in front of all those people.

You feel a sinking sensation in the pit of your stomach. Staring into your (e/c) eyes reflected in the mirror, your heart begins racing, and an all too familiar feeling settles over you. You sink into a chair, breathing rapidly. 'Stop it!' you think to yourself, all the time sinking deeper into this feeling. The more you try to bring yourself out of it, the further and faster you sink. It feels like everything is spinning out of control.

A knock sounds at the door. "(y/n)?" a voice asks. You don't answer. The person knocks again. "(y/n)." A pause. "Coming in!"

The door opens, and Davey appears, smiling, holding a small bunch of flowers. "I brought you these for good luck," he announces shyly. Then he notices how fast you're breathing. "Hey," he says softly, kneeling so he's at eye level with you and setting the bouquet on a bench.

"I can't do this," you whisper, feeling helpless.

He puts his hands on your shoulders. "You're going to do great," he reassures her. "Now, deep breaths. In through the nose. Hold it! Good, now out through the mouth. Again," he instructs, breathing with you.

After several of these exercises, you smile at him a little shakily. "Thanks." You rise, realizing there are only moments until your entrance.

Davey stands, towering over you. His dark hair is mussed. He pulls you into a hug, enveloping you in his long arms. "You'll do great," he repeats. "Just focus on me, alright? I'll be right in the front row. It's just you and me out there, okay?"

"Okay," you reply. He slips away, and Medda enters.

"You ready, honey?" she asks.

You nod and smile. With Davey to help you, you feel as though you could get through anything. Unfortunately, as soon as you walk out on the stage, that confidence melts away. Hundreds of eyes focus on you. 'What if I mess up?' you think, worries sprouting up and choking your self-assurance. Your stomach feels like a sheet of paper that some malicious hand is wading up, and your head feels light. You freeze, and your eyes flit from one face to another in the audience.

All of a sudden, your eyes lock onto Davey's warm brown ones. He is sitting in the front row, just as promised. He smiles and gives you a thumbs up. You smile back and take a deep breath. Everyone else in the room seems to fade away. Your music begins, and you don't take your eyes off of Davey.

In a flash, your song is over. Davey gives you a standing ovation. Everyone else in the theater reappears, standing also. You smile and laugh triumphantly. You curtsy and exit the stage, grateful for the courage Davey has instilled in you.