Imagine Race Taking You to the Fair

"Isn't this lovely?" you ask Race. The two of you are strolling around the fair, taking everything in. Being the oldest of eight motherless children, you hardly ever have time for yourself between working and caring for your siblings. In your pocket jingle the two pennies you're allowing yourself to spend. Two pennies could go a long way in feeding your family, but your father wanted you to have a good time for once.

"Hey, (y/n!)" Race cries, pointing to one of the games. "Let's have a go at this one!"

"Oh! The ring toss!" you gasp. You've always wanted to try it. The price for one game is two pennies. Hesitantly, you hand your money to the man. He gives you three rings. Two rings on the peg win a small prize. If you get all three on, you win a big prize.

You take a deep breath and toss your first ring. To your surprise, it goes onto the peg! You look excitedly at Race and then toss your second ring. It misses. Determined to get the last ring on, you focus and throw it. It barely catches the peg and twirls its way down. Smiling, you wait to receive your prize. As soon as you see it, though, your smile melts away. The man hands you a cigar.

"Thanks?" you shakily say and begin walking away. Then you have an idea. "Here, Race! This is for you!" His eyes light up. "A genuine Corona! Thanks, (y/n)! Thanks a million!"

The two of you wind your way through various booths, and then something catches your eye. A set of pearl barrettes. You've never seen anything so lovely. A saleswoman bustles over. "Ah, you have good taste, miss. Any fine lady needs good, quality barrettes to keep her hair up in the latest fashion. Let me show you how they would look!"

Before you can say a word, the woman is twisting your (h/c) hair into a masterpiece on top of your head. She brings you over to a mirror. You gasp and stare at your reflection. You look so elegant and grown up! In the mirror, you can see Race admiring you, too.

"They're only a dollar, miss," The woman croons.

Your heart falls. A whole dollar! And you thought spending two pennies was a crime. Reluctantly, you turn away from your reflection.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but-"

"She won't be buying them," Race cuts in. "I will be."

Out of his picket he takes a handful of change, most of which is pennies. You stand in shock as he counts out ninety-nine cents. When he realizes he's short, he mutters a few choice words under his breath and checks every pocket he has, coming up with nothing more.

"That's alright, young man," the saleswoman says, taking a penny out of her own pocket. "There's a dollar. Thank you very much."

"Oh, Race!" you cry as you walk away, hair still twisted. Spontaneously, you reach over and give him a kiss. First he's surprised, but then he gets into it. "Thank you!" you exclaim when you're finished.

"No, (y/n), thank you!" Race smiles.