T H R E E

(track: "Skull and Crossbones" by Klaus Badelt)

Like a swift wind, Jorin rushes toward Shae, grabbing her and jumping over the rock, nearly tumbling from the extra weight but musters the kind of willpower one gets when a single small mistake can mean death and keeps his balance. Once his feet feel stable beneath him, he runs as fast as he can away from the lumbering monstrosity. Not looking back once as he escapes the platform.

The change in terrain catches his foot and he tumbles down into the grass with Shae, twenty paces from Shelden and Felas.

The giant slams his mace down on the stone platform as if to intimidate them before giving up and dragging it across the ground to return to where he was before the fight...

(track: "Apotheosis" by Austin Wintory)

Shae is positively clung to Jorin in panic with her eyes still shut tightly as if she doesn't realize she's safe now... and also not dead, not even aware of who saved her.

Shelden and Felas exchange a look before they approach the two.

"Goodness, why was this one so special?" Felas asks with just utter cluelessness, not even really placing value to human life by the sound of it.

Jorin stares up at him, his lips pressed tightly together, unsure what to even say to him. He looks back to the carnage, feeling pity for the clueless people who didn't even realize they had no chance.

He then glances down at Shae who is clammed up tight. He isn't even sure if she is aware he even exists beyond being something to cling to. He clears his throat to get the catatonic woman's attention that everything is fine now.

She finally dares to open her eyes and then realizes she's alright and her eyes meet his and then she widens them in shock, letting go immediately and falling back on the stone with her hands catching her. "What—ow!" she complains, hardly able to breathe because of her ribs.

"Felas, heal her," Shelden says to the elf.

"Wha—again?!" he says like it's a huge burden.

"Do it or I'll cut off your ear again."

He groans and kneels down, using his healing spell like he did with Jorin to help Shae.

She takes in a breath when her ribcage is returned to normal and she feels much better, still stiff with some cuts and bruises, though. "Th-Thank you," she tells him.

"Yeah, yeah," Felas says with annoyance and stands back up. "I suppose I'm just a charity today."

"And thank you—" she begins to say and then frowns when she realizes who just saved her life. "Wha... what are you... you just saved me?" she says with confusion, shocked to even see him here, especially because of the way they parted.

Jorin doesn't seem particularly excited to see her, in fact, his furrowed brow and pointed eyes suggests great annoyance with her. "No, I saved my amulet. You just happen to be wearing it, you damned thief!" he says with spite. "Now give it back, I've had one hell of a day because of you!"