Water Fight

This story is submitted to YARomance for A summer to Remember!!

***

For some people, competition is fun, especially having an academic rival until it turns into a game of love with a sudden confession. Well, it happened today in our English literature class.

Just like everyday, I occupied my usual seat in the back of the class and started proofreading my essay once again, hoping to squeeze in the last minute editing before submitting it. Last week Mrs. Finch, our Eng literature teacher, asked us to prepare an essay on 'Things that matter the most' which was due today.

I was almost done when suddenly, I heard the classroom door burst open, immediately silencing the constant buzzing of the students. And just like that I knew who was the source of the disruption, he was none other than Eden, my next door neighbor and my worst nightmare.

From what I have heard from my parents, our families have been neighbors since before our birth. And as far as I remember, we have been competing with each other ever since, especially since we started our kindergarten. I distinctly remember the first day of school when Eden came behind me and poured his glitter tubes all over me and in retaliation I pushed him in a rain water puddle.

The funny thing is none of us even remember the real reason we started locking horns with each other even as toddlers for swing sets, just that our parents never tried to stop us, in fact they encouraged us to be better than the other.

For some unknown reason, our families never get along, they always had this cold war going on since before I remember. Both the families never missed a chance to throw dirt on the other one or try to show off their latest achievement, be it some neighbor friendly competitions or a new possession but mostly it was through mine and Eden's score cards.

Our families live next door but there is nothing friendly between us, though nobody is ready to tell us the exact reason for this rivalry. But the love for our families was enough for us to stop questioning and quietly support them, therefore me and Eden also don't see eye to eye. Though one good thing came out of this ordeal, both of us were insanely good in studies and sports, in order to gain a pedestal over the other one.

And today was one of those chances to bury the other one with our essays.

"Alright students, settle down." Mrs Finch called, addressing the class. "I am assuming you all are ready with your assignment. Since it has become quite a tradition to watch whose essay would be better among the two toppers of this school, let's call one of them first, so we can decide today's result."

Before I could stand from my seat, Eden was already jumping down and took position in the front of class, beating me again. "May I start Mrs. Finch, if you don't mind?" He asked, winking in my direction, making several girls swoon and falling for his charm.

I simply rolled my eyes at his smirking smile. His gestures were all too familiar yet strange because every time he looked at me with his hooded eyes and his devious smile, my own would falter. I know he does this on purpose to knock me off my game and I hate that it usually works.

I mean, I am not blind, I can see that the boy is beyond handsome and the worst thing is that he knows that too and isn't afraid to use it to his advantage.

But today was something different about his demeanor. Unlike other times, he was looking a little uneasy and flustered. His eyes, which are always filled with unadulterated confidence, today were a little scared and unsure like he was contemplating something.

His lack of concentration should make me feel at ease but on the contrary it filled me with dread as I was used to his easygoing side but somehow I know today is going to be different, something is going to change and as much as I want to win this war, I don't want to distinguish this spark we have since forever.

"My essay is going to be a little different, so I apologize in advance and ask for your patience to let me complete it." Eden starts, clearing his throat and taking a deep breath. He was looking so nervous.

"Today I am going to let you know a secret about me. I am terrified of darkness, it's my weakness and my only downfall. When I was around seven, there was a blackout in our neighborhood and I was all alone in my backyard playing soccer, needless to say I lost my shit and started mumbling god knows what. But that night after a few minutes, out of nowhere I was shot down with a water gun continuously and let me tell you, the water was ice cold."

"Instantly I knew who declared war on me because I recognised this soft giggling sound coming from my neighbor's backyard. It was none other than the beautiful little girl who was the same age as me, my neighbor and my greatest nemesis. There was hardly a day when we didn't fight or find a chance to insult each other."

"There was an unsaid competition between us about who is better, me or her, which is still alive as you all witness everyday."

"That night we fought the water battle for hours. I thought she would back down after some time due to fatigue but she didn't. Even though I was tired, we didn't stop. That night nobody won, instead she asked for a truce only when the lights came back."

"At that time I went to bed fuming, thinking how could she sneak on with a water gun and started planning the counter attack for the next day. But the next day I realized something that after she came, I didn't even think about the darkness, I was not scared, not even for a second."

"And that brought a smile to my face because I knew that this girl, my personal devil, helped me. She must have heard my terrible whimpers and without thinking about the consequences she came to help by distracting me with the only way she knew how. That is by irritating me and only stopped when the lights came back."

"From that moment I swore to protect her and to befriend her but our family rivalry always came in between and not to forget our competitive egos. But I still wanted her near me and my little brain couldn't think of any other way to be near her other than to make her life hell."

"So I did just that!! But I made sure that my pranks never hurt or insult her. I got creative and timed my pranks in a way that I am always on her mind so that she didn't have time to think about anyone other than me. She was mine and I was selfish enough to stake my claim which I am sure every boy in this school knows."

"And did you know that despite our rivalry and academic clashes, she still comes to the backyard with a water gun whenever we have a power outage. She makes sure that I am never alone when it's dark. She is like my personal firefly."

"But now we are seniors and I don't want to miss our chance to experience a life in which we are standing together pranking the world instead of each other. "

"Ava, I don't want to fight with you anymore. I want to protect you and laugh with you. There is no other girl who will ever matter to me more than you. I don't care anymore about what our parents think of this relationship but I really want to be with you."

"I love you and I know it's all of a sudden for you but I have loved you for quite a while now. And it's okay if you don't feel the same, I will understand and-"

"Shut up you doofus!!"

This whole time Eden was looking at me, speaking directly to me. I think it's kind of obvious that I was speechless and in shock but there was one thing I was sure about. Therefore without thinking much I cut off his rambling short and threw myself in his unexpected arms, making us slam in the wall behind him.

I practically attacked him by smashing my lips to his.

"I thought you were coming to slap me." Eden said in a dazed voice.

"Trust me it was a tempting offer but I have my whole life to do that. Also this kiss was kind of long overdue."

"Couldn't agree more." He said, pulling me towards him and showing me how much he loves me.

******