Dear Aunt Jenna

This entry is for Wattpad Coffee Community Contest, May 2022: Coffee With Mother.

~~~
Dear Aunt Jenna,

I know that we haven't met for a while and I am the one to be blamed for that. I am really sorry for not reaching out to you these past few years. Initially I convinced myself that I was too busy with school and tuitions to meet anyone but slowly and slowly I just became indifferent towards people who were ones very important to me. I am not making excuses, I am just trying to say how sorry I am for not snapping out of my teenage crazed mind and forgetting the real connections I had.

I have always considered you as my second mother and nothing less if not more. I have no words to describe how much you mean to me. You have and will always be special to me. In society's eyes, we may be just neighbors but I know the truth. We were much more than that.

You must be wondering why all of a sudden I contacted you after all these years. The other day, I saw bamboo wind chimes just like yours displayed in a shop, which immediately reminded me of you. From that moment I couldn't stop thinking about you. So without contemplating my decision anymore I contacted you for coffee, because I know if I waited for another day then I would start second guessing my decision.

I know you must be angry at me for not finding you earlier. I should have followed up with you after you sold your house and moved away. I was your kid therefore it should have been me to try and maintain the beautiful relationship we had but I was stupid enough to let you go without any making sure that we will meet again. I am really sorry for being immature.

But don't worry because your little girl is now all grown up and has the ability to understand the importance of family. I am letting you go again from my life.

Aunt Jenna I have never told you this but you have taught me so many things. First of all you taught me to be forgiving and letting go of the past. Do you remember there was a girl, who used to live across from us. We always used to fight for swings and one day she pushed me off it. I was so angry as I wanted to do the same to her but you didn't let me, instead you made me forgive her and the next day she herself apologized and we became best of friends.

I hope you will forgive me too for my indifference towards you.

I miss the countless hours I used to spend at your place after school. You never asked me to leave, in fact you let me play with your dog and color your backyard walls, which is my favorite memory by the way. I also remember the yummy food you cooked for me and how you would let me experiment with the recipes. Those were the best times of my life. I really miss those.

I hope we can again catch up someday and cook something unique just for old times sake.

Aunt Jenna I promise you that form now onwards you are going to be a very important part of my life. And it's okay if you don't forgive me today because each day I am going to show you my commitment towards you. I am going to work hard to earn my apology. Trust me, I will not let this second chance of reuniting with my mother let go at any cost.

I have missed you so much and I hope you also remember me as the same kid you loved the most.

I love you!!

Your Lovely Daughter
Olivia Smith

P.S. – I still use your homemade remedies of skin care.

****