Chapter 5- ?Do you need a ride??

Adien POV

"Thanks again for the ride," I say quickly unbuckling my seat belt as fast as I could. Hoping to get away from the awkward silence ASAP before I blow, it was the type silence that left you begging for the earth to swallow you.

"Yeah, it's okay..." He nodded his head before adding regretfully and somewhat forcefully. "Tomorrow, I'll come to pick you up at 8:00, every day from now on, to take you to school then I'll bring you back home."

"What, no!" I say shocked and slightly touched. I was almost sceptical, he's being a bit too nice.

"In return can you help me with my studying," He asked rubbing his leg and shaking it furiously. This must be really hard for him., although It wasn't really a question it was more of a demand.

"Now explain to me why I would help someone who probably doesn't even know my name and wouldn't give me a second glance any other day?" I inquire tapping my foot on the pavement, perhaps it was the fatigue, but i was growing impatient at his adverse tone.

"Maybe because you're a nobody... And I'm somebody, a somebody everyone knows and likes" He dared say which somehow hurt my feelings, I shake off the ping of emotion remembering how I vowed to myself I couldn't and wouldn't ever have emotion.

I remember searching up 'Emotion' in my dictionary:

'A strong feeling deriving from one's circumstances, mood, or relationships with others'

I remember throwing the dictionary feeling its explanation was wrong. All the Emotion I've ever felt is Pain, Grief, hate, and Terror.

"You're right I am Nobody, but at least I'm not a narcissistic arsehole," I say slamming the door of the black Nissan. "And don't you dare come back here in the morning, mornings are supposed to be bad but you'll make mine worse, much worse" I shout at his retrieving car, now riding off into the horizon, you could have sworn it was another Fast and furious movie by the speed he was going and God knows we don't need an addition to that franchise. If you're wondering how and why I took a ride from him I'll explain...

I'm walking down the road briskly, hoping to get home as quickly as possible. Before you ask, yes, walking rapidly while in pain does look like you have a stick permanently up your ass.

I reach about half way but I know I still have long to go, I force my mind not to think about home. Turning and see a car making its way down this road, I walk faster making up a race between me and the car seeing who would go past the lamp post first. It was me, a small, trivial victory.

The car started slowing down, moving nearly at the same speed as me. I grew anxious ready to run, just in case my stalker jumped out of the car and suffocates me with a rag. At his point I wouldn't even fight, I'm too tired.

"Hey, do you need a ride?" Nick spoke, his deep voice making me weak at the knees or maybe that was my 93 year old joints giving up on me.

I shook my head not trusting my voice to speak. Then began speed walking around the corner. I realise now I must have looked insane.

It hadn't taken him long to convince me. My feet were tired and my whole body still stung so I caved in...eventually. I sigh walking into my house dumping my bag onto the floor and walking into the kitchen. Ready to make dinner before mum gets home.

"Mum, what are you doing home this early?" I ask hugging my mum warmly. She smelt the same, vanilla and cinnamon, I could have broken down then and there.

"The school closed early, the dance was cancelled so I came home, and I have a day off for the rest of the week" she answered hugging my back as if she hasn't seen me in ages. "Honey, what are these bruises?"  she asks concern filled her voice.

Before I have a second to speak or even think of an excuse to tell her, I hate lying to her but hate her worrying even more, I hear a gasp.

"He wasn't there was he... He's found us, honey go pack we need to go right-" I stop her mid-sentence.

"No, I was playing football and one of the guys on the other team kicked the ball right into my jaw" I lie as casually as I could, before silently cursing my unbelievable excuse, I have never played a sport a day in my life.

"Are you okay, sweetheart? You gave me a heart attack. It's so unlike you to be playing sports" she smiled rubbing my bruise and looking at me fondly, although there was a sadness in her voice.

"Have you taken your vitamins and tablets?" I ask worriedly, changing the subject quickly.

"Honey, I'm not sick or an old lady" she laughs turning to the nearly burning sweet potato wedges in the oven.

"Mum, you need to take them" I insist, remembering all the doctor appointments and the counsellors.

"Jesus, I'm the adult and you're the child, I'm the one that's supposed to be bossing you around not the other way round," she says as seriously as she could but failing. It's strange seeing someone that has loved you so unconditionally and taken care of you your whole life, not being able to take care of themselves.

"I know mum...its just sometimes I worry, with your anxiety and depression -"

"I'm fitter than an Olympic runner, I'm not depressed anymore I promise," she says stubbornly. "Don't worry about me, you worry about your studies and get into a good uni, maybe even bring home a girl"

She winked, laughing deviously at my grimace, God I hope she doesn't give me the sex talk. I give her a playful glare and grab my book before going upstairs to start on my homework.

@@@@@
Dear readers,

After having had this book for on the app for many years, I have finally signed a contract in which I can early money from the book. This contract, however, is on this new app called "hinovel" I would really appreciate it if you guys signed up and read the book from there.

As a University student I am strapped for cash and would love it if you guy could read it! Part of the contract prohibits me from publishing more than 5 chapter of this book on another website. I'm so proud this book has come this far and has enabled me to converge to other platform.

Take care. I love you all!

Yours sincerely,

A gracious, parttimenarrator