Breathless

Many had ventured down into the pyramid but none had returned as there was a being said to be lurking within it with a glaive at hand and the power of the darkness aiding him. Eventually, the Vanguard grew tired and soon told us to cease and desist for a moment so they could plan things out, and now, my fire team is sent, ready to raise their arms towards the creature living in the pyramids.

Though I was not ready, I was never ready.

I became a Guardian only 3 years prior and my duties simply consisted of evacuating civilians and setting up plans made by my leader. I was never sent to kill large threats of nature like other Guardians. I was just the gopher to my people and it came as a shock when I discovered my Fireteam was picked.

"Kore, are you ready?" my Fireteam leader Zeus says gently as he puts his hand on my shoulder.

I look at him and nod, nervousness tingled within me and I rub my hands. "Yeah, just thinking,".

" About?".

"My duties in this mission, what I have to do, and so forth," I admit.

"You'll be fine, you're mission is being our add killer, keep the battlefield clear for us to progress down that hellhole," he explains as he pats my shoulder and smiles.

"Sounds easy enough, but what about the creature at the end? What do we do then?".

" That's the part where you use that tether of yours and evacuate into Daemon's well, the rest should be easy enough,".

"But if all goes wrong, we need to find any way to escape. We cannot add to the countless casualties of others," I advice as I hear our ship land at our destination.

When I walk outside, I find myself in a swamp with scorn, undead creatures prowling the area, scrapping whatever they can from the throne world in which we stand.

"Let's get this over with, it's a wild world in there from recordings I heard, so follow my lead," Zeus rallies to the rest of our team as we jumped into the murky mud and made our way to our destination that was not too far from us now but required us to break through with a blackboard of technology. Dread dripped down on us like sweat as it got closer to it, the pyramid belonging to an ancient evil, the same monsters that nearly brought our race to extinction many centuries ago.

We pushed through the fronts with hideous scorn trying to stop us from entering the domain until eventually, we did it, we stepped into the dark and immediately felt chills go down my spine from the suffocating amount of dark energy radiating within it and it only got stronger as we faced the trial that kept us lingering from our main target.

Obelisks stood tall as we got closer, each having three blank haloes which Zeus stares at, studying the objects closely.

"What could you make out of this Athena?" He asks looking at the side of him where a Titan stood.

The Titan places her hand on her chin and hums, "Looks like a riddle of some sorts, or maybe even clues to how to reach him," she says as she looks around the area." Or worse a trap...".

Upon her words, more scorn dropped in with the largest being a grotesque mound of flesh with large arms and a small head that was plated in metal. It came closer to us with his hands held up towards us with arc energy building up in its palms.