Assistance

Thud!

Your body moved before your mind had time to register. You swiped at medication and ran, your feet carrying you around the corner where the sound had originated from. You saw Michael on the ground, trying to sit up again.

"I'm okay, I'm okay," he said, trying to ease your worry as he grasped onto a crutch a little too tightly, seething between his teeth at the pain that suddenly filled him.

"You always say that," you told him as you began to load the shot with the painkiller medication. You were quick to act as you gave him the dosage, moving carefully and swiftly as you had been doing for years now.

You watched as his clutch slowly loosened, a breath leaving him as the pain began to subside. You brought a hand up to rest on his arm, "Better?"

He gave a slow nod, taking a moment to breathe before moving to stand again. You helped him to his feet, offering support as he needed it. He sat down on the closest chair, leaning back in silence.

You moved to sit next to him, rubbing his shoulder gently. "Thanks," he mumbled, something in his voice you could only describe as dismay.

You had been Michael's nurse for years now, close friends for longer. It was not an uncommon occurrence to have to get to his side and help him in times like this. You were used to being quick on your feet, tending to his needs as they came to support him. 

"We should visit Nicholas and Milo today. Maybe get lunch?" you asked, hoping to lift his mood. He nodded and moved to stand to his feet with your help, although he still seemed a bit upset. You sighed, "You know... it's okay to need help sometimes."

"I know," he answered. His eyes darted between you and his crutches. "But there's a difference between sometimes and all the time." He walked away to get his bag, leaving you standing where you were as you ran a hand through your hair with a sigh.

~

You dug in the fridge in indignation, shaking your head as you huffed. "Beer, beer, and more beer," you frowned. You straightened your spine and turned to face the thugs circled around a table playing cards. "You know, this is great, guys. Do you even know what water is?"

Only one of them paid you any mind, but that was just a glance your way followed by a sneer. You rolled your eyes before looking again to search for the package of water that had been tossed carelessly to the floor. You grabbed a couple of bottles and huffed, "Real classy."

You turned to get back to the lab where Michael and Martine were currently located. You bypassed the security system before walking in again, raising the waters up for them to see. "Nice picks, Michael," you commented. "You've got some real gentlemen up there."

He smiled a little, glancing up at you as he spoke, "They don't need to be gentlemen, they just need to be protection. But if they hurt you, I'll go up there and swing a crutch at them. I'm sure that'll end well."

You offered a playful smirk, "My hero." You gave Martine a bottle as she thanked you and passed another to Michael. You walked over to him, placing a hand on his forehead. "Do you need another treatment?" you asked.

He shook his head as he raised up a vial, "No... it's done." You paused as you looked at him, your eyes on the vial in his pale, boney hand. You nodded and looked at Martine, who stood to her feet as well.

You all got to work as the vial was passed to you to do the honors. You held your breath, your eyes finding Michael's. He nodded slowly and you returned it, injecting him with the cure carefully, your hands as steady as ever with a little more effort than usual.

Martine was on his other side, helping him to lay back as you set the needle to the side. Michael let out a long sigh, "Can you buckle me up?"

You both worked to do just that, fastening the restraints around his arms and legs. "The moment of truth," he sighed before his body suddenly began to jerk. You wanted to make a quip about his dramatic comment, but could not seem to get the words out, your concern over him gripping you too tightly to speak.