1. Rooftop (Rewrite)

Now you may be wondering, how did you get yourself in this situation? He wasn't exactly sure how it happened, but he surely doesn't regret it.

Riki hadn't expected much when he'd started school after moving to Korea, maybe a few friends along the way. But being dragged by an energetic boy to the school's rooftop during lunch? That was way out of his agenda. And interestingly enough, it all started with the drop of a textbook, as clique as it sounds.

Getting his schedule from the principal’s office seemed like an easy task, but when you’re a foreigner from Japan, who’d moved to Korea a little over 2 months ago, it’s quite a nerve-wracking experience. Riki would know.

He awkwardly held his schedule in his hand and gripped the loosely hanging backpack with the other as he tried to navigate his way around the halls. And the running of other students nearby only made him even more nervous. Riki sped up his pace as he continuously looked for his first class.
Too lost in the room number plastered on the paper, Riki failed to notice the boy bolting in his direction. The lack of attention caused the boy to bump into Riki, the book in the boy’s hand fell directly in front of Riki as the boy fell from impact.

Standing up, it became clear to Riki that, whoever this guy was, was relatively shorter than he was. He stared for a moment before picking up the book and handing it to the boy. The boy blankly stared up at him before accepting the book.

“Are you new?” The question caught Riki off guard.

“Uh, yeah. How’d you know.” He cautiously answered the shorter boy.

“Never seen you around, and y’know, I’m quite popular.” He proudly proclaimed, obviously joking. Which, Riki found endearing. “The name’s Riki, but people call me Ta-ki ‘cause of my last name. They say it suits me more than Riki, and I gotta agree with them.” He was quite chatty, Riki thought.

“Ah,” Riki paused for a second. “My name's Riki too. Nishimura Riki.” Ta-ki's face seemed to morph into an expression lost in thought.

"Ni-ki."

"Excuse me?"

"Ni-ki. Nishimura Riki." Ta-ki grinned, the corners of his mouth looking like they were reaching for his ears. "You look like a Ni-ki." Riki, or Ni-ki, couldn't lie. He did like the name.

"Lemme see your schedule." Ta-ki held his hand out, waiting for Riki to give him the paper.

He hesitated, but nonetheless, gave the shorter boy the paper. Fighting back the urge to laugh when Ta-ki's face grew excited.

"We have the same 1st period!" As if on cue, the bell rang. "Shit, we gotta go." Ta-ki grabbed Riki's wrist and started to speed walk.

And this is how Riki found himself holding hands with Ta-ki, who he'd learned to be older than him, as he was being dragged up a few flights of stairs.
Upon opening the door, Riki quickly learned he underestimated the size of the rooftop as he eyed the unusually large group of guys gathered in a semicircle facing the left side of the building. About 20, with one in the middle dancing to HIT by SEVENTEEN.

Were all of them Ta-ki's friends? Goddamn.
"Guys! I brought someone!" The shorter boy exclaimed, dragging Riki through their connected hands.

At their arrival, the boys stopped cheering as the one in the middle paused the music. All eyes fell on Riki and he was beginning to regret agreeing to this.
"Who's this?" A boy from the far right of the circle spoke up.

"Ni-ki! He's new and isn't it funny? We share the same name!" Ta-ki's joy seemed contagious as the rest of the boys started to grin as well. The boy that was previously dancing moved to be beside the pink haired boy standing at the end of the left side. As if they had telepathy, the boys all moved to close the semicircle, leaving space for Ta-ki and himself.

Ta-ki dragged Riki once again and sat him down next to a boy with dimples he'd recognized from 2nd period before taking a seat beside him. He then began to introduce Riki to each boy individually, and by the time he was done, it'd seemed like 2 years had already gone by. Not that Riki minded, he found the older boy's rambling to be pleasant. 

Riki, now known as Ni-ki to the boys, learned the boy with dimples was called Jungwon, the pink haired boy was Hanbin, the one dancing was Nicholas, and many other names. Though, Riki still hadn't quite processed what just happened.

"Y'know, it's been forever since we've had someone new." K, the oldest, spoke up. Shouts and whistles flooded the rooftop and Riki felt his palms grow sweaty.

"I think we gotta challenge the new guy to a dance battle." 

Riki's eyes lit up. He loved to dance, and if you ask any of his friends back in Japan, they'd tell you that he was amazing at it. Heck, he even danced for the Kpop group SHINee back in elementary.

"You versus the group's best dancers, you on, Ni-ki?" K was now standing up, holding a hand out toward the younger. Riki took a peek behind K, and there stood 4 other guys.

Nicholas, Hanbin, Jay, and Jungwon. Riki thought they looked so cool.

Without hesitation, Riki accepted the hand. The voices of 22 guys pierced his ears as shouts of "Okay!", "Nice!", and "Let's go!" filled the room.

This was one heck of a situation to find himself in, but Riki didn't see it as a bad thing.

~~~~

A/N: hello mfs, i haven't touched this book in nearly 2 years 🙀 but anyways, i really miss iland and i reread my past works and had the sudden temptation to rewrite it :DD for those of you still willing to read this, thank you ily

i recently rewatched iland after geonu, jimin, and hanbin's debuts, i suddenly got hit with tons of emotions so this is the result LMAOO

this will also be uploaded to my AO3 account, bbylixi so if you wanna, go support me over there

byebye for now :)