I

With a deep growl, Lisa gave the coffee machine her best death glare, sending her heavy black boot into its base with a huff. The mint green machine, which was easily older than her, simply stared back, mockingly, refusing her the caffeine she so desperately required.

Heaving a deep sigh she turned away and shuffled on towards the room she'd, unfortunately, become intimately familiar with over the last week. She'd been forced out a little over two hours ago by a determined Park Chaeyoung who insisted she go outside to get some fresh air and head home for a much-needed shower. She'd rushed through it of course, desperate to get back as quickly as possible, despite the fact that the shower felt amazing and the fresh air was a much-needed break from the overly sterile air that clung to every inch of the hospital. But two hours away seemed like far too long, and she'd rushed back only to realize how truly exhausted she really was. She hadn't had more than a few hours of sleep in days, afraid that if she closed her eyes, she'd miss something.

She'd been three hundred miles away, in the middle of a photoshoot with the most insufferable model she'd had the displeasure of working with when it had happened. She'd gotten the call from Jisoo, and at first, she was confused. Jisoo was all over the place, talking over herself a mile a minute without really saying anything that made sense. Something about bees and brownies and possible organ transplants. It wasn't until Rosé finally took the phone from them that she found out the real reason behind the call; Jennie had been in a terrible car accident and was in critical condition at SNU hospital, just twenty minutes away from the modest condo they shared near downtown Seoul.

She'd immediately grabbed her things and recklessly broke every speed limit and traffic law on her way back home, repeatedly redlining the Honda CB1000R that Jennie had initially begged her to get rid of but secretly loved riding on the back of, especially during those crisp fall days when the breeze would hit them just right with the scents of autumn leaves and pine. The whole ride she'd been completely terrified of what awaited her at the hospital, or worse... that with the 'critical' describing Jennie's condition, she wouldn't get there in time. It was awful.

This wasn't how things were supposed to go. Things were supposed to be good. She was supposed to come home two days later after finishing the shoot and walk into their house, Jennie there, smiling and jumping into her arms as soon as the door closed, thrilled that their dreaded seven-day work separation was finally over. They'd planned to have dinner together that night and celebrate Jennie's latest political bashing article being printed in the Times. They would've ordered a fancy wine and made heart eyes at each other over the table while playing with each other's fingers underneath it.

Instead, she was racing towards uncertainty, hoping against hope that what would greet her would be better than the worst-case scenario. When she'd arrived at the hospital a little after eight that night, Jisoo and Rosé were there in the waiting room, both squirming in their chairs, apparently waiting for her.

"What the hell happened?!? Is she okay? Where is she?"

"They're moving her to a room right now. She's been in surgery," Jisoo explained, nervously wringing her hands in front of herself. "There were some... complications and some internal bleeding. They've stopped it, but the doctor said the next few hours will be critical."

Lisa just stared at the two, digging her nails into her palms to keep the tears threatening to spill from her eyes at bay.

"Lisa, she's going to get through this," Rosé said, with as much conviction as she could muster. She tentatively reached out, placing a comforting hand on Lisa's leather-clad shoulder. "Jennie is a fighter. You know this. She's not just going to give up on you and her career and the amazing life she's worked so hard for."