XVIII

She came out of the bedroom, freshly showered, dressed, and still a little out of sorts but feeling a million times better than she'd felt only an hour ago. It had been a hard morning for both of them. If that isn't an understatement... But if this could actually work, if they both were actually willing to try and put forth the time and effort, then she had a chance of getting Jennie back. And at this point, she'd probably do anything in the world to get Jennie back.

She nervously ran her hand through her long, wavy hair and took a deep breath before slowly rounding the corner, finding Jennie standing at the stove, plating the breakfast she'd insisted upon making them after their hug-fest was interrupted by the sound of growling, impatient stomachs. The tiny brunette looked over at her, smiling softly, her eyes still a little red but no longer puffy, and her tear tracks dried. And she looked so incredibly beautiful.

"Hey..." Lisa said, cautiously, stopping in her tracks.

"Hey." Jennie nervously glanced away for a second before reconnecting their eyes, clearly unsure of what else to say or do.

The problem was, Lisa was at just as big of a loss. She didn't want it to be awkward but damn if it wasn't. There really was no way around it. After all, they'd spent the better part of the morning alternating between sobbing and yelling at each other. And now... now they were what? Dating again? Thinking about dating again? Crushing on each other? The terminology didn't quite fit in Lisa's mind but she wasn't willing to waste time on semantics. If Jennie was willing to try, she'd take it. She just wished they had some sort of roadmap to navigate just how in the hell this was going to work.

She looked down at her bare feet for a second before slowly taking a few steps forward and carefully sitting down on the island. She nervously scratched at the back of her neck, her eyes locked on her lap, the quiet room louder than anything she'd ever heard. Dammit, say something. The soft sound of Jennie's giggle brought her gaze back to the other girl, her eyebrows raised in question.

"What?"

"Sorry, I just... I don't think I've ever seen you look so uncomfortable. And not that it's fun to watch, because it really isn't, but... well, it looks kind of funny because it's so different from the norm," Jennie explained, nervously playing with her fingers. Lisa simply chuckled at Jennie's assessment and sagged onto the stool beneath her, the moment of levity freeing up a little of the pressure. "I guess this might be a little... awkward now, huh?"

"It would seem so, creampuff."

"Well... awkward or not, I'm still hungry. And, while you were in the shower, I actually changed my mind about breakfast. I suddenly wanted an omelet instead of pancakes. I know, that's like super weird for me because who chooses an omelet over delicious, syrupy pancakes but I just had a craving. And I can't remember the last time I had one so... I mean, I probably should've asked but you were in the shower and I didn't want to bother you or make it weird like I was intruding on your space, but... I hope that's okay?" Jennie anxiously asked, bouncing from one foot to the other, chewing her bottom lip, her soft brown eyes eager.

Lisa cringed as she noticed the cutting board on the counter behind the other girl, fresh mushroom stems still sitting there, waiting to be disposed of.

Ugh, I'm going to have to grab a muffin or something later.

Taking another deep breath, she just nodded and gave Jennie a small smile, not wanting to make a big deal out of it. No sense in making Jennie feel bad or upsetting her over something that the tiny brunette couldn't help and didn't remember in the first place.

She reached for the fresh pot of coffee Jennie had already set out, pouring them each a full cup, and took a long sip from her own mug, savoring the strong, bold flavors that danced across her tongue. At least Jennie still made coffee the same as before the accident.