THREE

Once again, I found myself inside Richard's office waiting impatiently.

The room was thick with tension, the air reeked of cigarette, and this time, I had 3 pairs of eyes staring at me—Richard's, Finn's, and the macabre stag's.

"I cannot tell whether you guys are happy or angry." I clamped my sweaty palms together.

Finn sighed, "Of course we are happy for you. But why get a job on the other side of the country, when you know you can get any job you want here— With us." He ran a hand through his hair in frustration.

"Because I want to move on. And I can't do that if I stay in the place where it all happened." I lied.

Richard, who had been quietly listening, spoke, "Why didn't you tell me before that you were applying?"

"I wasn't sure if I was going to get the job, so why have this weighty conversation, when there was a big chance that it wouldn't happen."

"I'll go with you then."

"Thank you, Finn. I appreciate it, but I want to do this alone— Besides, you can't leave your new job." I rubbed the tip of my fingers with my thumb.

"Technically—"

"No Finnick. You can't leave. At least not right now when we are in the middle of a very important project." Richard cut in and stood up from his chair.

"What are you guys working on?" I probed.

"I'm investing in new clean energies. But that's not the point," He poured himself a glass of whiskey, "Do you still have the credit card that I gave you?"

"Yes, of course. Do you need it back?"

"No. Keep it and use it however you want." He downed all the content, "That includes your little trip."

A full-blown smile made its way onto my lips, "Does that mean I can go?"

Please say yes.

His lips twitched into a smile, "Yes Blair, you may go."

I lurched forward and pulled him in for a hug. "Thank you. You don't know how much this means to me." I whispered.

"Just promise me to call at least once a week." He pulled back and looked down at me making sure I knew he meant business.

But maybe I'm back in a week.

"I promise."

"Great, and don't hold back on the expenses. I know you are going to work, but I want you comfortable and happy, okay Blair?" I felt a sharp pang of guilt. While they were giving me everything and making sure I'm well cared for— I was lying straight to their faces.

"Okay," I feigned a smile, "Thank you." He nodded and walked back to his chair.

"Your parents would be very proud of you." My smile instantly fell and my mood darkened.

You would be surprised.

"I'll call my secretary to book your flight and arrange your stay. Meanwhile, go rest and start packing because you are leaving tomorrow." He instructed. "As for you Finn, stay here. I need to have a word with you."

I turned for the door, and when I was outside the office, Finn caught my arm, "I want to take you to our favorite ice cream place. Do you mind if we leave after I'm done talking with my dad?"

My stomach fluttered. "Not at all."

"Great, I'll be out in 10 minutes. I'll fetch you in your room." He smiled and closed the door.