Chapter 1 - The embodiment of negativity

Speech: ""

Thoughts: ''

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Narrator's POV.:

It's been a while since the villagers settled down nearby the Tree of Feelings. Monsters and humans cooperated and everything was peaceful... or at least mostly everything. Many people have good in them but unfortunately just as many have bad in them.

Nightmare was always different from his brother. He was more mature and didn't like to play all day but instead liked to read most of the time. Nightmare always read the books that the people in town brougt for his brother. The reason why he loved reading so much was because it helped him to escape from all the negative feelings. As the guardian of negativity a lot of feelings like loneliness, sadness and such were invading him.

Dream was always totally fine with his brother being more silent and distant from the people, but the villagers didn't like that Nightmare was different. They started to whisper things behind his back such as "he's weird" or "he is protecting the bad side of the tree, he is evil for sure" or something like "his name means something bad". Sometimes they distracted Dream by taking him to another place. In the meantime other villagers went to nightmare and threw rocks at him or told him that he's worthless and nobody liked him. Of course there were also people who were against that but they just looked away instead of helping him. They were scared they would get treated the same way if they helped him.

When Dream came back Nightmare always made up excuses so his brother wouldn't worry. Because if he knew about those things that the villagers did he would surely complain to the people in town and get into trouble.

Y/N's POV.:

It's a beautiful day outside, most of the kids are playing tag or hide and seek together, some adults are talking while some others are just sitting in the grass and enjoying the summery weather. I am on my way to the Tree of Feelings. Lately I've been spending a lot of time there, especially after school. It helps me relax after a long and exhausting day because there aren't many people most of the time. At least not on the dark side of the tree. I've always wondered why people avoid the side of negativity. To me negativity is a significant part of life that can't be avoided. I've learnt that the hard way already. Anyways: As far as I know there two are guardians who protect the tree but this far I've only seen Dream, the guardian of positivity. I even spend time with him and the other children sometimes even though I am not the type of person to be around a lot of people. That's the reason I rather spend my time under the Tree of Feelings and read or draw. I find myself wondering: Will I someday meet the guardian of the dark side of the magical tree?

Nightmare's POV.:

 I hear some steps coming in my direction only to see a beautiful girl walking torwards the Tree of Feelings. They don't see me though. I keep hidden behind the leaves of the tree, assuming that they either want to bully me or came to talk to my brother. I keep quiet, waiting for their next move. Next thing I see is them sitting down on my side of the magical tree. Most people just avoid my side of the tree because they think it brings bad luck but this girl even seemed to enjoy the tranquil athmosphere here. What an interesting person. Before I realize it she pulls out a book. It seemed to be a fantasy novel. I can make out the title of the book which was printed onto the very elegant cover of the book. The book's name appeared to be CRAVE. On the front of the case you could see a white rose with splashes of what seems to be blood. Probably a cheesy romance book about vampires. As she opens the storybook I lean forward to look over her shoulder in order to read with her. And to my surprise the book wasn't even that bad. On the contrary: It was well-written and  trilling. But damn, the kid was a fast reader. She read those pages as if she was devouring them. She was clearly enjoying the book, eager to know how the story continued developing. I, on the other hand, have always been a slow reader. I enjoyed taking in the athmosphere of the story. It was an escape from all these unpleasant comments and the mockery I had to bear just because of my role as the guardian of the negative, which I had been forced to play. You know, when all you hear from other people are insults, it makes you start wondering whether it would be better if you dissapeared. After a while of zoning out I continue observing the young girl.

 After a while of zoning out I continue observing the young girl

Short book review: This is the book cover I mentioned before. In my opinion it's a very exciting book. While reading it gives of a bit of a tragic but also romantic athmosphere. Each character has their own unique and lovely personality and I would highly recommend it :D

Y/N's POV.:

I can't help but feel like I'm being watched. I try to shrug off the feeling and concentrate back on my novel. After reading for what only felt like a few minutes I realized that the sun was slowly dissapearing behind the mountains that were located in, signaling that it was going to be dark soon and that I had to leave. A wave of sadness washes over me as I realize that I had to leave the tranquil and enjoyable place, in which I had spent so many hours of my live, behind once more. I take the book, which I had borrowed from the library a few hours ago and carefully place it in my small purple backpack. I wave the tree goodbye, as I make my way down the hill torwards the small village that me and my family live in.

Okay! I actually finished the chapter after about 2 years. But hey, it's great to be back. Even after all this time I'm still determined to finish this story. I probably won't be able to update more than once a month though because I've had a lot of school stress for these past 2 years and it's not really getting easier.

Date: 13th February, 2024

Words: 970

Goodbye :D