T W E L V E

|| T W E L V E ||

|| ||

We're swaying
To drum beats
In motion

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly two days later, she entered the Great Hall with Ivar next to her, a free woman for only a night. As far as she had been concerned it was an occurrence that was normal for Vikings, considering she still learned about their customs and ways, but Criseyde had told her it was far from. In fact, it rarely happened that a slave was declared free for a certain festivity and it was only confirmed when she had spent the better part of an hour close to Ivar, fitting his clothes while he told her of how the Queen was trying to get him under his thumb by acting as though she held power over him, or over his slave at least.

Alasia, who had been interested in tactics and politics ever since her father had come home telling mightly tales, listened fascinatingly. When Björn had taken her from her home she had expected to end her life one way or another before the first day had passed, but now weeks later, she was used as a pion in a game of chess simply because she was close to a rival of the Queen, not even on her own will.

Their arrival caught the attention of the entire Great Hall, the thick crowd falling silent as their eyes fell upon the slave and the cripple, leaving Ivar with a smug grin and Alasia with a feeling of unease. After a couple of seconds, the crowd continued their talking, the steady buzz of talking and celebration rising once more. Ivar had insisted on being late and after ordering her to stay by his or Hvitserk's side at all times, she had no choice but to arrive late as well.

"How does it feel to be a free woman, Adelasia?" Sigurd asked as soon as she and Ivar had joined the table with the four youngest Ragnarssons and their companions. He smirked at her and she wasn't sure if he was being genuine, or merely teasing her.

"It feels good," she replied softly, her shyness getting the better of her as she felt the stares of at least five pairs of eyes. "Even if it is only for a night."

"Freedom can be earned," Ivar said casually, snatching away Hvitserk's horn and taking a large gulp from the ale in it.

She didn't bother to reply to that comment, instead eyeing the people at the feast with curious eyes. She had been forced to serve at the feast that had been thrown for the occasion of Björn's successful return from her city, but she had been too distraught to really notice the details. Now, as a woman sitting on one of the benches close to the table of the Queen instead of standing in the shadows near the entry she was served with a whole new perspective. People were chatting wildly, some people fighting in a way that was probably friendly but looked none like it and others dancing to the rhythm of the playing instruments.