𝐗𝐈𝐗: Mr Showoff

Cole, Bryan and King and I were seated at King's usual sitting spot. It was a table close to the cafeteria door and you could see almost everyone in the cafeteria, except those at the other far end.

"Nah... I think Kim's the hottest of all the cheerleaders," Cole said, using his hands to demonstrate. He had been trying to pull an argument on which cheerleader was the most beautiful, supposedly.

Neither King nor Bryan seemed to be interested in the debate. King's body did get tense at the mention of his sister's name. "C'mon man. Quit it, would you?"

"Why, because it's Kim? Look, I see girls and I know them." There was this annoying morale in Cole's tone.

"Arsehole," Bryan remarked.

"See I told you you'd be a worse person if you stuck your dick at a place-"

"Dude!" Bryan hit the table in anger, cutting Cole off. My plate vibrated and pieces of my macaroni fell off the plate. "What's your problem?"

"How's Ashley by the way?" King asked, barely bothered at all. I doubt he cared if Bryan and Cole fought, really.

Bryan glanced over at Sandra's table. Ashley was taking a spoonful of food in her mouth while laughing at something Chloe said. He sighed, "As you can see." He turned, "it's in a month. We should practice today, King."

"What's happening in a month?" I asked.

Kimberly passed by with her friends and cast me a look. I turned away. Of course, I hadn't heeded her advice of staying away and being a nerd.

It didn't fit well with me. This was much better.

"Some competition we've been invited to," Cole explained, biting off his chicken. "Wanna cheer for us? I'd sure love to see you in that green gown... Your arse on full display-"

"Cole!"

"What, man?" Cole gestured to King. "You've got a problem with me talking to this hot chick?"

I looked down to hide my face and I focused on my lunch instead. "I'm sure she doesn't appreciate it," King came in for me.

"And what's it to you? Is she your girlfriend?" I looked up at Cole who was keenly daring King with his eyes. "Asked her out yet? Or have you, I don't know, kissed her?"

King puffed out but didn't say anything. He glanced at me but soon focused on his hamburger.

I fought the urge to remain quiet. "I think it doesn't mean anything that he's speaking up for me. King's my friend and, yes, I do not appreciate your compliment, Cole."

"Or you're just a prude?" He smirked, not planning on giving up yet.

"No. I just don't appreciate words coming from the mouth of an arsehole."

"Wanna know what else my mouth can do?" When I tried to decipher his statement, he simply shrugged and sucked from his straw. He faced me and snapped his finger. "Miss Emerald the nerdy prude."

"Sir Collins the slovenly pig."

That shut him up. Bryan stuffed a piece of bread in his mouth to keep himself from laughing. "Serves your dumb arse right."

Cole showed Bryan the middle finger but didn't dare say anything, I tell you.

I could feel King's gaze on me but I never looked at him after that. They kept talking about basketball and championships while I ate in silence. For one thing, being around the boys made me feel safe. I never had to bother about Josh Watson or his twin brother.

"I'll round 'em up today," King finally spoke.

***

I decided to let King teach me basketball this Friday. If I found it interesting, I could continue. If I didn't, I wouldn't. I knew, though, that I would choose the latter.