𝐗𝐗𝐕: Cake, swimsuits and a birthday girl

When I opened my eyes, I was staring at a pair of blue beamy eyes. That and thick eyelashes bouncing up and down. "You awake now, Em?"

"Sandra? Wait, what time is it?" I glanced around, forgetting that my dad's room was the only one with a wall clock. Then I turned to my bedside table where my wristwatch was but my sleepy eyes wouldn't decipher what the hands were saying.

"Ten-o-six, why?"

"Nothing."

"Emery?"

"Hmm?"

My eyes saw green before I felt water running down my body, making my purple chemise even sheerer. "Happy birthday, my pumpy-umpy-umpkin!" Then I felt Sandra's pale soft skin hugging mine tightly, a now-empty green bucket beside her.

"I. . .Thanks, Sandra."

As I hugged Sandra, I thought about what Tevessa had said. Here, now, I didn't feel indebted to her, I didn't not love her. I mean, she'd just drove all the way here to wish me a happy birthday. Even mum hadn't wished me yet-I knew she would wish me later-nor did dad; Rowan hadn't called, too. But Sandra was here, on a lovely cool Saturday, wishing her friend a happy birthday.

Sandra was in a striped skirt and a sleeveless blue top with the word 'Hello Swimmer!' imprinted on the chest. Her blonde hair was held up by fine ribbons tied in bows. This girl was beautiful - inside and out.

It made me hate Kimberly even more, telling me to avoid Sandra, and be a paranoid person who didn't want to seek good in others.

"Thank me later." Sandra slipped out of the warm embrace I was getting comfortable in. I stood up and out of my bed as she spoke because I didn't want to get my bed any more soaked. "But now, you need to go to that bathroom, have a bath and meet the rest."

"Yeah, I have to bath- Wait, did you just say the rest?"

"Yeah. Just Chloe. . ." she breathed and I sighed and grabbed my towel that was hung on my wardrobe, preventing it from closing properly "And Cole." She looked up as if counting.

"Cole?"

"Yeah and Bryan and some others. . .I think."

"Some others!?" But sometimes, Sandra could be annoying, truly.

"Yeah. Luan, Ashley, King, not much." She shrugged. "Get quick or we'll be late. If they finish breakfast, I swear I will hate you."

She pushed me towards the door and opened it while yelling that she would search my wardrobe for something good to wear. Through the rails, I could see muscular guys and cheerleader-y girls scattered around in my small, homely living room. I could also smell toast. The small crowd must have heard Sandra's high-pitched lady voice talking about skirts and tank tops because they tilted their head and faced us: Sandra in her amazing outfit and me in a short soaked nightdress.

For a few seconds, it was quiet. Then soon, everyone was talking. I could make out their words: Hey, Emery! Happy birthday, girl. I love your dress. Of course, I could make out the owner of the last statement - Collins Gritihan.

"Hey," I managed. "Thank you." I needed time to take it all in, and because I couldn't take more of Cole talking about how good I looked in a wet purple chemise, I hurried to the bathroom, shut the door and began to brush my teeth.

I did everything as slowly as possible, I tell you.

When I was done, dreadfully, I hurried past the bathroom and into the living room because I didn't want them to see me in a towel wrapped around my petite figure.

Sandra and I kept arguing, even after she had me wear a sundress and was trying my hair in a style she learned recently. "It's okay if it's me and you going for a swim, truly," I complained. "Why did you have to bring your. . .Your friends."