𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈: Opponents, not enemies

Kimberly grabbed her back from one of the benches and stormed out of the hall. She was the first to leave, until Nina, her friend and classmate, grabbed her bag and left too. I owed her an apology, Kimberly Isnaul. But it wasn't for now. Now was to show Sandra just how good I could play her game.

Luan scowled at me, got up, and left, with her hips projected and her Adidas shoes making soft thuds on the court as she walked past it. Eventually, Chloe stood up, snapped her fingers, and commanded, "Rehearsals' over, everyone!" She was the head of the cheerleading group, although Sandra was the most recognized.

Then, Chloe glanced at me. Her face was neutral. She was the best at hiding emotions. It was commendable but equally scary. She sighed, grabbed her bum bag, and walked out. Her olive legs walked elegantly, glowing under her green glittery gown. Chloe had an aura that made you respect her. I did too; she knew her lane and she maintained it. That was grand.

As soon as she left, there were murmurings as the other cheerleaders grabbed their bags and left. The basketball players didn't need that sort of instruction. The moment Bryan grabbed his jacket, gave King a meaningful tap on the shoulder and left to catch up with his girlfriend, Ashley, the other boys followed. Collins hadn't been among them. I hadn't seen him since I stepped in. Yet, this wasn't the time to be bothered.

When I retook in the surrounding that was brown wall and banners here and there, it was only me, Sandra, and King that were standing, facing one another, waiting for one to stay something. King croaked his throat. That was a headstart, a cue enough for Sandra to get closer to King and slap him. "You asked this girl out?"

King caressed his cheek. Anger burned within me. "Were you expecting him to throw the question at you instead?" I retorted.

Sandra turned to me. Her cheeks were heated. "What kind of a friend are you?"

"What kind of a friend are you?"

"All I've ever done is support you and help you in the ways that I can—"

"All that you've ever done is to make me feel like I was indebted to you in any way. All that you've ever done is show off pearl bracelets and throw yourself at people who don't need you: King, my brother, my mother, my sister. All that you've ever done is give a beautiful, wrong impression of who you are and attract love from any and every corner you find yourself in. That's all you've ever done."

"Are you jealous?"

"Of what?"

"'Of what?'? Heck, Emery, I have tried to get you into that 'circle' before. Did I not tell you to join the cheerleading group? You'd told me no because you thought you wouldn't fit in. Then, without asking you, I convinced Chloe to let you in and she agreed. When I relayed the news to you, have you forgotten your reaction? You had felt bad and said that I shouldn't do things like that, that you didn't want to get yourself involved in the way of the cheerleaders, that you didn't like their way of life.

"Remember? We had argued and decided that it was okay if I was a cheerleader as long as my friends and you guys didn't have to communicate. You had brought up the idea and I had agreed because I wanted to respect your decision.

"If it's the pearl bracelet you're jealous of, King's mother bought a pair of those and had told King to give one to me. I don't even wear it anymore because the string had caught on the rails back home and cut. I honestly don't know why that has become such a big deal. For your family, I wasn't giving any wrong impression. I love your mother and you know it. Heck you do, Emery! If you didn't want me anywhere near your family, why didn't you just tell me? All I've ever done is respect your decisions just so we'd be friends regardless of our differences.