Chapter 6

Nicholas' stare intensified when I didn't answer. I could feel Rosa's breath on the back of my neck as she looked on, and discomfort swiftly arose as I noticed that all in sight were watching.

The alpha's smirk morphed into a wide, amused smile as I took a step to the side, feeling just a bit more comfortable now that Rosa was not breathing down my neck.

I studied Nicholas' eyes, noticing the primal gleam which had taken ahold in them had yet to change.

Nicholas' gaze lowered down my body, and then to my fingers which were still tightly wrapped around the handle of my suitcase. A dark eyebrow rose, and any playfulness which had been etched across his face faltered as his expression became one of seriousness.

"Where were you planning to go?" He asked, his voice giving away little of what he thought. My head turned to look over my shoulder as I remembered the phone I had asked for. I took it from Rosa after thanking her.

"I was hoping to stay by Athena's home for a while," I explained tersely to Nicholas, memories of what had happened in my house and to my potions making my tone become bitter.

My fingers drifted across buttons on the phone, but I did not press any of them.

I noticed that the female lycans had begun to retreat, and I watched them leave for several seconds, also seeing the way Ted shuffled awkwardly around, as if unsure of what to do with himself.

A large hand engulfed my own and the phone, making my drifting fingers halt.

Nicholas' expression had yet to ease from the stern look it had taken up, and I swallowed at the warm feeling that arose in my stomach as he lowered both my hand and the phone.

He took it from me, and then tossed it to Rosa, who barely managed to catch it.

She fumbled with the phone for several seconds, looking utterly confused.

When I turned to look back at Nicholas, a playfulness gleam had entered his gaze as he spoke to me, noticing my confused expression, "That phone will not be needed. And you shall not have to stay by Athena."

He began to uncoil my fingers which were wrapped around the handle of my suitcase, and took hold of it instead.

My right eye twitched at my property being taken, but my focus became on his even closer proximity as Nicholas leaned forward to take the medium sized suitcase.

I became a bit taken aback, especially when he straightened but didn't move away, keeping close. His pleasent masculine scent seemed to wrap around me, and I cleared my throat, averted my gaze.

"Why did you leave your home?" Nicholas asked me.

My lips pursed in contemplation as I thought of telling him. I fingered the straps of my bag, and gestured with my head that we moved down the pathway. Voices came from inside the house, and I knew persons were nearby.

Both of Nicholas' eyebrows raised this time as I walked past him, my shoulder gently brushing his own as he shifted the suitcase from his left hand to his right hand, and allowed the handle to slide down into a slot. We walked past the pathway, and away from Ted.

My eyes skirted to the pack houses nearby. Lights were on in the homes since evening was approaching, but I could hear no voices.

The sight of yellow lights streaming from homes and lighting up the darkness was almost strangely beautiful, and I studied the sight before facing Nicholas.

He was patiently waiting, my suitcase now resting on the ground by his right leg and arms folded across his chest. My gaze flickered to his knuckles as I began to explain what had happened, and my reason for intending to call Athena.