Chapter 1

Copyright © 2020 by Faith Hunte

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without written permission from the author.

This book is on Inkitt, Wattpad and my Patreon only. If you are reading it anywhere else, it has been plagiarized. 

Stealing is a CRIME. If this book is discovered elsewhere, legal action will be taken.

Hello everyone! SKYLAR is one of the books in the series, Amidst the Grips of Lycans, and should be read after Lycans Of The Woods.

*****************

"You look exhausted, Skylar."

Esmeralda's worried voice carried from where she stood on my porch.

I made a noise with my mouth, hand lifting to push down the hood of my cloak as I slowly walked up the porch stairs, gaze flickering to the small white bowl in her hand and then to Esmeralda's face.

She too looked tired. Her gray hair was not as kept as usual, and I could see pale bags under her eyes. Ever since the murdering of lycans that occurred outside of her store, she had became increasingly distraught.

Her husband had only recently begun to spend more time with her in the store since that day, something that rarely happened throughout the many years she'd worked there.

I had known Esmeralda since I was a child, and had been introduced to her by my late mother.

Athena and herself would often visit me after my mother passed away, but they understood that I liked my space whilst I was home, so as I became older and eventually became an adult, those visits lessened.

Esmeralda still insisted on bringing me meals however, and I was never one to turn away her food.

"I will be fine." My voice was soft, hoarse. I took the bowl from Esmeralda which she offered and the heat from the soup floated into my face. My smile was quick. "Thank you."

"I worry about you, Skylar." Esmeralda said quietly, watching as I used one hand to unlock the front door of my home. I paused to glance at her, frowning deeply as she spoke further,

"You shouldn't be traveling alone, especially with all of this chaos that has been happening. Have you heard about the battle that took place in Wildeland recently?"

I nodded. I had passed by that pack merely an hour ago, where I'd caught sight of Athena and she had caught sight of me. I had no intentions of stopping and talking to her however, so I'd carried on walking through the woods.

My mind and body felt drained from today's events, yet my stomach twisted with hunger as each strong breeze sent the scent of soup towards my nostrils.

"I will be fine." I repeated again to Esmeralda, attempting a smile that felt false on my lips. My eyes went behind her, to her husband who stood nearby, a limp cigarette hanging between his lips.

The mixture of smoke with the smell of soup made me swallow thickly and I faced Esmeralda once more, nodding. "Good day."

Esmeralda returned my nod, almost hesitantly. "I will be seeing you tomorrow. I'm closing the store early today."