12: Quest

Percy

 I sighed as I walked to the main house.

"A quest?" I asked Fall.

"Yeah. Chiron told me to call ya'll because Zeus wants to issue a quest with two of the seasons and three demigods from Camp."

I followed Fall to the Big House, where Spring and Summer already sat.

"Winter," Chiron greeted carefully, clearing his throat. "As you all probably know, Zeus issued a quest for two of the seasons, and three demigods that vote to go."

"We don't have a prophesy?" I scoffed, "isn't that a little low for Drama Queen?"

"He never gave us one..." Chiron started, "Though Rachel spouted one right before you came."

Annabeth, whom stood quietly the whole time, took out a paper. "Well, the prophecy doesn't help much"

I picked up the paper, marveling at the beautiful handwriting. It was written in cursive, though. Because the demigods here had dyslexia, I read aloud.

"Five shall go to the land of dark,

to find the traitor within the ark,

two must fall to the anomalous abyss,

where one will fall to endless bliss."

Annabeth was more than right. The prophecy wouldn't help even if we understood one line.

"Where are we going?" Leo asked the obvious. There was no answer. We didn't even know who the war was against!

"Land of dark..." Annabeth muttered, staring at the paper. "First, we must choose the five whom will go. Two seasons, three demigods, as Chiron suggested."

"I'll go," I volunteered, not wanting to stay in Camp Half-Blood all too long. "Who's comin'?"

"I'll come! Fall, Summer—ensure that camp is prepared." Spring said cheerfully, giving me a side-hug. I blushed dark red, still not used to her over-cheeriness.

"If my sister's going, so am I." Drew said, sheathing out her dagger. Chiron reluctantly nodded, sneaking glances at Annabeth.

"I'll come too," Annabeth sighed. "I might be able to find where we are supposed to go."

"If she's going, so am I." James, Annabeth's boyfriend, stood up. I groaned. Not the two of them. I glared at them, though stayed quiet.

"We'll leave at nightfall." I stated, earning nods throughout the five. As everyone scattered, I walked up to Annabeth. She was humming happily. Probably that James was going.

"Annabeth," I greeted.

"Percy," she nodded in acknowledgement. She quickly stuttered, going red, as she corrected herself. "W-Winter."

"It's...fine." I smiled, taking off my hood. I could see James squinting his eyes in the distance. "What places within Greek Mythology can relate to 'the land of dark'? Any ideas?"

"Well..." she sat down, scribbling on the sandy floor with a branch. "There are a few possibilities that crossed my mind. One, it could be—"

"Tartarus." I interrupted. She nodded gravely.

"It has no exposure to sunlight, or light, whatsoever." she agreed. "Another possibility, is that it is a metaphor—dark meaning 'where life is non-existent'. Meaning a dead place."

"Any other ideas?" I asked, skeptical of the last one. I'll be working with her for the next few months. I wouldn't want to stay enemies for her. It wasn't wise to do so.

"Another one in Greek Mythology is between earth and Hades." she replied slowly.

"Erebus?" I asked.

"Exactly. If we can contact Lord Erebus, we might be able to get a head start." she nodded, a small smile appearing on her lips.

"That's a start." I laughed gently. "Though, is he not the husband of Nyx? We didn't have a pleasant encounter with her last time."

"That is the least of our problems." she shrugged. "The only detail of the 'land of dark' is that there is supposed to be an Ark there."

"Ark as a large ship?"

"Huge ship." Annabeth corrected. "The word 'ark' is mostly known from the Bible. A Ark, you can visualize in your mind, is a huge boat. A boat that can carry hundreds, if not thousands, of living organisms."

I nodded. "Any ideas on whom the traitor is?"

She hesitated for a moment. "No."

"Annabeth," I warned. "The last thing you want is to be on the wrong side. Remember who you're loyal to."

She looked up. "I may have a idea..."

Spring

I helped Drew pack up her backpack.

"Glad you're back, Pipes," she clapped her hands excitedly. "My first quest!"

I winced at the thought. "Can't believe no one saw the talent in fighting you guys had."

"Meh," Lucy shrugged, whom brought a few leather clothing to Drew and myself.

Once we packed our bags, we walked toward the big house, where Winter, Annabeth, and James would already be prepared.

"Hey, Spring!" Annabeth waved, "Drew!"

James frowned at us, not a glint of happiness visible in his eyes. I cleared my throat.

"Do we have the prophesy?" I asked politely. Winter nodded.

"We're going to Erebus first hand." he replied. 

"How're we gonna do that?" Drew asked curiously, though I could feel her nervousness rolling off of her in waves.

"It's complicated. We're gonna go to the underworld. With the best-case scenario, Lord Hades will be able to help us." Annabeth quickly explained, slinging her backpack over her shoulder.

"Worst-case scenario?"

"We go to Tartarus."