a new friend

─── august 18, 2020
⤷ in which jieun and
piper come to be.

──────────────

  "OKAY JIEUN, OUR SESSION ENDS in ten minutes." Jieun's therapist, Minyoung, balances her notebook on her lap, crossing her legs, "Is there anything else you'd like to talk about before we wrap things up? Or something for our next session?"

Jieun shuffles around on the plush, leather couch she was sitting on before clearing her throat, pulling down the sleeves of her sweater to cover more of her hands, "Um, there is one more thing, actually," She lets out a small sigh before meeting Minyoung's eyes, "Recently I've been feeling more anxious. Well, more anxious than normal, that is." She tugs on a strand of her hair.

Minyoung nods, studying the blonde girl closely, "Do you have any ideas as to why?"

"I think it might be because we're preparing for our next comeback?" Jieun shrugs, "But we've already had two comebacks now, so I don't really know if it's because of that."

"Well, just because you've had comebacks before doesn't mean you can't get nervous when another one is approaching. Plus, your group is still considered as a rookie group, so the anxiety caused by that is understandable." The woman leans back in her seat, "I know this suggestion might not be so helpful considering that there are rules to follow in your company, but have you tried maybe getting a pet to help ease that anxiety?"

Jieun furrows her brows, nose scrunching up in confusion, "A pet?" She points to herself, "For my anxiety?"

Minyoung lets out a soft chuckle at her reaction, "Yes, pets are well known to help reduce stress, anxiety, depression, and even ease loneliness. I know you're not lonely, what with how well you and your members get along, but a pet could possibly help you with the anxiety you're feeling or could feel in the future."

Jieun blinks, still thrown off by the suggestion, "So, like an emotional support animal, basically?"

Her therapist nods, "Pretty much, yes. Like we've talked about before, anxiety is a normal and often healthy emotion, and we've already established ways for you to heal and be in control of your emotions, but what I'm seeing and hearing from you right now is more so nerves before your comeback."

"Wouldn't I need to have a license of some sort, though?" Jieun rests her elbows on her knees, suddenly curious, "To have it properly recognized as an emotional support pet?"

"Well, if this anxiety heightens to a more concerning and health-threatening sort of level, then you'd go see a psychiatrist and then have it professionally registered as an emotional support animal. But this sort of anxiousness that you're feeling at the moment could most likely be solved with having a regular pet around, no license or notes required."

Jieun stays silent for a long second, looking down at the floor as her mind races. She always thought about getting a pet, but didn't know if it would do well in the dorms or if she'd get in trouble for having one and have management make her take it back.

"Jieun? Everything okay?" Minyoung asks, tilting her head to get a better look at the girl, "If you think it's not possible because of your company rules then we can come up with different suggestions for our next—"

"No, it's not that. Everything's okay." She cuts Minyoung off, standing up from the couch and letting out a sigh with a mix of relief and accomplishment, "I think I just might look into that. Am I good to go?"