Chapter 22

Surprising Emma with a passionate kiss would forever be one of my favorite things to do. I assumed she hadn't been home long, until I barged in, interrupted her movie and slammed my lips against hers.

"What is, uh, what's up?" Emma asked as she turned off the TV. I dropped myself next to her on the couch and scooted closer, while she wrapped an arm around me.

"I'm just happy," I replied. For once, everything was right. Robin and I had finalized our divorce a week ago and I'd purchased the white mansion. I'd been living with Emma for quite some time and that was just an added bonus. But tomorrow, finally, the last packages and trucks would drive to finish the move. "Tomorrow, I can finally officially move into my own home. My new bed is to arrive in the morning. I'm very excited."

Emma didn't meet my enthusiasm. In fact, she stayed silent and played with the remote control. It would be strange to move away from her, but I found it hard being too upset about it, because the idea of actually living in my new home could vanish all nagging negative feelings.

"You could help decorating my bedroom, tomorrow. Help me try out the new furniture," I said, trying to sound seductive, but Emma moved her arm away from me and turned on the TV.

"Got work," she responded curtly and though I was certain she was trying not to show it, it was obvious something was bothering her. I moved my lips to her cheek and kissed it ever so lightly.

"What's wrong?" I asked softly as I trailed my lips to her earlobe. She moved her head away and scooted closer to the armrest of the couch, as she muttered: "nothing".

"Emma.." I tried, and put my hand on her thigh, but there was no reaching her, because she moved my hand away as well. "Did I do something wrong?"

She looked at me and showed me a faint smile while shaking her head slightly. "No," she replied and she sounded genuine. "I'm just going to miss you."

I refused to believe that was why she was acting so distantly, but I didn't want to press and I figured she'd tell me eventually if it concerned me in any way.

"I'm going to miss you, too," I said, as Emma turned her head back to the TV.

"Are you?"

My eyebrows rose as I looked at her side profile. Her eyes were still glued to the screen, though I doubted she was really watching whatever was on there. Normally, I wouldn't have found it weird if she'd asked for confirmation of my feelings, but her tone was off. As if she hadn't expected it, as if she mocked me.

"Of course. Do you not know how much I enjoyed living here with you? You know I'll be forever grateful," I said and Emma met my gaze, briefly.

"You're awfully happy to go, though."

I hoped she was joking. It had to be a joke, but her expression gave away that she was dead serious. She knew from the beginning I was going to move away and what was I supposed to do? Be unhappy about that? I wanted to live alone for the first time in my life without being attached to anyone. It didn't have anything to do with Emma, it had everything to do with myself. I wanted to work on myself. In my own home.

"Well, yes, naturally. I'm glad my home's finally ready. That doesn't mean I didn't like staying here with you. Wouldn't it be worse if I was all upset to be moving to my own home?" I asked carefully and Emma nodded.

"I've just had the feeling that you've been looking forward to leaving my place for the past weeks," Emma said with a shrug.

"No, I've been looking forward to living independently for once in my life. That's got nothing to do with you. You don't have to get angry, we'll still hang out a lot."