𝖓 𝖎 𝖓 𝖊

I woke up to find I'd been added to a group chat named Woogity baby. It had John B, JJ, Pope, Kie and I in it. I already had all their contacts so I didn't have to figure out who was who.

JJ
Yo Al. Welcome welcome. You should feel honoured, only the coolest cool people get added to the Woogity baby gc

Me
I am very happy to be here thank you JJ

JB
We're going out on a mission to find wifi to find out if the Royal Merchant is off the deep end or not, you in?

Me
Sorry guys, no can do, I have work this morning

Kie
Awhhh, catch up after then? :(

Me
Sorry, I've got a date ;)

JB
Ooooh, the coolest Aussie in the OBX has a date. Whoever it is should consider themselves lucky

JJ
Yeah, they should. Who's stealing my girl?

Me
Emma Collins

JJ
Ok, ok. Fair enough you're both hot, and you both surf. Match made in heaven

I laughed at his message and turned my phone off to get ready for work. I was mostly stacking shelves with sex wax and other essentials since it was a slow day. About 2 hours into my 4-hour shift I got a text to let me know we were going on a mission to get a drone from the impound yard JJ's dad used to work at. I reminded them I was busy all day and they said they could push it forward a day, just for me.

After my shift ended I waited outside the store for 30 minutes for Emma to finish. Once she was done she came out and sat opposite me at the table. "We're going surfing." She said and stood up. I'd bought a board pretty much the day I got there since I wasn't able to take mine from Australia. My aunt and uncle tried to pay but I had savings left from my job so I declined their offer. They were already doing so much for me. I agreed and stood up as we headed down for the beach.

It was there that we found Sarah and Topper and their friends drinking in a corner of the beach. Sarah spotted me and waved us over. "You two are together?" She asked us looking down at our intertwined fingers and I nodded and told her we were out for a surf, to which she didn't offer us a drink since it probably wasn't best to be drunk at sea.

She asked what I'd been up to so I told her I'd been hanging out with the crew and she half rolled her eyes, but I just brushed it off. After we said bye we headed down to the sea and I pulled my shirt over my head to reveal a pink bikini and we both got undressed leaving our stuff in a pile before we ran out into the ocean. We caught a few waves before sitting on our surfboards bobbing on the surface. "So why do you like surfing so much, like of course I enjoy it, my dad owns a surf shop but you just seem like your having the time of your life out there?"

"That's a hard question. I suppose makes you feel your inner spirit rise with the waves, the rhythm of the waves become the markers of time and it just makes you relax completely. If you catch the moment just right, if you have perfect timing, the wave will carry you on the ride of a lifetime. Perhaps that is why surfers are so relaxed. What we practise, we become masters of. That's what it feels like for me anyway."

"I love the way your mind works." She looked deeply into my eyes. "It seems so fascinating. I feel like for everyone else everything is so black and white, but I feel like you could write a book about anything you feel passionate about." We sat and talked for a while, just appreciating each other's company until the sun started to set so we went back to the shore. We sat for a while watching the sunset on the horizon. I looked over at Emma to see her face aglow with the last orange rays before twilight beckoned the stars. Her lips bore a slight smile, just enough to show that she was enjoying her thoughts, whatever they were. I moved closer so that I could feel her presence, yet stayed quiet, allowing us to stay lost in the moment a while longer.

I got a text from Sarah asking if I wanted to stay over at hers to which I agreed. Since I'd walked to work I didn't have a car so I asked if Emma would drop me off and she said yes. We walked back to the store talking about nothing and everything and it felt like no time had passed before we were pulled up outside the Cameron mansion. I gave her a quick kiss goodbye and texted Sarah to let her know I was outside. She came to the door and let me in. "You do know we have a doorbell right?" She asked. I told her I didn't know if it worked or not and she giggled, rolling her eyes at me jokingly and we headed up to her room saying hello to the rest of her family on the way.

"So how was your surfing date?" She asked me. I laid down on her bed and she lay next to me while I told her about it all. "You like her a lot don't you?" She asked suggestively.

"I like her a reasonable amount," I told her and she punched my arm lightly and told me to stop lying to which I got all defensive. The truth was, I didn't know how much I liked her. I'd never been in a proper relationship. I was quite the opposite of hot shit where I came from, though JJ didn't believe it. I'd been asked out before, but only by teenage boys who only ever thought with their dicks. It was strange to have so many people who cared about me, I liked it though. 

"I don't know. I just thought it would feel different with her than with everyone else. I thought she would make my heart race constantly. I've only ever really seen love in movies though. So I guess I don't know. Maybe I like her more than I think I do." I explained to her. She turned to look at me and her eyes locked on mine.

"You're such a dumbass you know that?" She said to me. I looked at her with a blank look on my face and she rolled her eyes at me yet again. "That is how it's supposed to feel, stupid. I know because I haven't felt it yet. And I've been with Topper for what feels like forever, and I've never felt that special thing with him."

"So... you don't love him then?" I asked her and she scoffed, turning back to look at the roof.

"He's fun to be around, and he feels like my best friend. But I don't know. That's all it feels like sometimes. Like he's just my friend." I looked back up at the roof and thought about what she was telling me. And then thought about Emma. We'd had a really good time, and I loved hanging out with her. But it was the same way I liked hanging out with Kie. Or JJ, or any of my friends. I loved talking to her and I'd had the best time with her. But I'd done the same thing with JJ. Had the same "deep" chats. But I didn't want to get stuck the same way Sarah was. We talked for a while longer before we passed out in her giant bed.