Chapter Six: The Key

The humid heat weighed on him, his clothes already drenched with sweat. Ansel looked up at the sun. Was it always this hot in the New Lands? Not far in front of him, Zeer walked toward a secluded area on the side of Building 49. Ansel wiped his brow of sweat, sighed, and followed with caution, confused about what the hulking man wanted. His stomach growled. When would he get some food?

They reached a shadowed part of the building with no one nearby. Zeer turned and casually leaned against the wall, studying him. He waited for Zeer to talk first, passing the time by tapping his right finger against his leg. Ansel didn't have a read on what the man wanted; antagonizing him would only lead to more trouble. Enemies were something he didn't need more of. Better wait and see what he has to say. After a brief time, Zeer finally spoke.

"Did you kill the queen?"

Ansel narrowed his eyes. Every person he encountered since becoming a prisoner assumed his guilt. Finally, someone asked whether he actually did it.

Ansel took a step back, wary of Zeer's reaction. "No."

Zeer stroked his beard. He whispered under his breath, too quiet to be heard. Ansel only caught, "he wouldn't let that happen."

Ansel frowned. Who wouldn't let what happen?

It didn't take long for the man to come to a conclusion. He straightened up. Ansel tensed, ready to run if he attacked.

Zeer locked eyes with him, a strange light in them. "I believe you."

The last thing he expected to hear. "You what? Why would you believe me on my word alone?" A feeling of relief grew but he stifled it. He couldn't get his hopes up after pushing them down for so long.

Zeer's face remained unreadable. He glanced at Ansel's spiraling black tattoos. "Many years ago, my son was saved by the Foundlings. They protected him and gave him purpose. I never believed they would kill the queen."

Ansel's eyebrows raised. "You have a son in the Foundlings? Do I know him?"

"I don't feel like talking more about my son right now. We haven't had spoke for years. He doesn't even know I'm alive," Zeer said.

"But-"

"I'll tell you more about him another time, but not now." Zeer motioned toward the entrance of Building 49. "Come, I have something to give you." He turned to walk away.

Ansel's mouth firmed into a line but he dropped the topic. He would remember to ask more about his son later. He reached out and grabbed Zeer's shoulder. "Wait."

Zeer turned back, his jaw clenched. He looked at where Ansel touched him with barely concealed frustration.

"You really believe me?" The prospect of not being hated by someone was a huge weight lifted off his shoulders. Of having a friend again. Relief welled up inside and this time he let it grow. A single tear pooled up in the corner of his left eye. He quickly wiped it away.

Zeer nodded, his eyes softening for a moment. "Follow me. We don't have much time. I want to give you something before the guards come to get us."

"Come to get us for what?"

"You'll see. Now stop with the questions."

They emerged from the secluded area back onto the dirt road. He followed, lost in thought. Maybe Zeer will help me escape from here. He shoved that thought down to the depths of his mind. Too much to hope for.

They entered the building. The now familiar stench of grimy men filled the air. All the men inside stopped what they were doing to watch them. Curiosity was evident on their faces about what was said. Zeer ignored their looks and led him through the throng of men to a bed in the back of the room. The "bed" was a couple of planks of wood put together to create a flat surface. A rough blanket, that was stained brown, lay on top of the planks. The bed was separated from the others but not by much. Must be Zeer's bed. The men must really respect him to give him even this much space. Zeer lifted the bed up and jostled with some planks underneath. One of the planks came loose. He reached down into the hole and pulled out a dirty cloth with something wrapped inside. Zeer handed the package to him.