Chapter 10

Hela watched from below as her army reached the tree. Heimdal sounded the horn before her soldiers swarmed the dome.

Hela finally flew above the ground.

They were scratching at her mind already, pulling  down every barrier she'd worked so hard to keep up. She felt heavy, and she knew they were trying to pull her down.

"March down the bridge in line," she ordered. "Await for orders at the end."

That ought to give Asgard time to prepare for the violence she'd bring.

******

Loki was in the garden when the horns blared. In the distance, he saw a large grey blur emerging from the golden dome.

He rushed inside and saw Sif and Thor carrying their boys.

"Loki!" Thor shouted. "It's time."

"I know. Where will you take them?"

"We're going to gather as many children as we can on emergency ships and get them away from the battle," Sif answered.

"Be safe. All of you." Sif and Thor nodded before heading to the ships.

Loki drew his blades and set course for the Bifrost.

******

Sigyn stood in front the other warriors as the golden doors of Valhalla opened. She readied her spear and made sure her shield was secured on her back. When the doors opened, Odin's living army stood waiting.

"Converge at the end of the Bifrost and await further instruction," he said from his steed.

Sigyn saw Loki standing at the bottom of the golden stairs. She let the other soldiers pass before making her way to him.

He hadn't seen her yet. He was focused on the Bifrost.

"Loki," she said from the top of the stairs. He finally looked up and went pale.

"Sigyn."

"Hello, my love."

"Sigyn." He ran up to her, crumbling in her arms. "Oh, Sigyn. I'm so sorry. I tried so hard to prevent this."

"Loki, there was nothing we could do. We did our best to save her." Loki stood to look at her, cupping her cheek. She leaned into his embrace.

"You're beautiful."

"You've gone grey."

"That's what Hela said."

"You've spoken to her?"

"Heimdall was able to bring her to the Bifrost while she was at the roots of Yggdrasil. She's so beautiful and wise. She could have done so much had she not been trapped in Hel. Now she'll be under the influence of the Norns. I don't know if she'll even recognize us."

"I've got an idea, Loki. It's absurd, but it's the only chance we have to save our daughter. Do you trust me?"

"With all that I am."

******

Hela fought to keep herself in the air as she reached the end of the Bifrost. It felt as if the weight of the world tugged her downwards.

She knew she couldn't fight it forever, but she could hold out for a moment longer.

"Hela," Odin called out as they met at the end of the bridge.

"Allfather."

"You aren't welcome here."

"I'm aware." Every word she uttered burned. It wasn't what they wanted her to say.

"Asgard will not go down without a fight."

"I know."

"Any last words?"

"I'm sorry." She pushed her hair back to make way for her helm.

"As am I."

The moment Hela set foot on the rainbow bridge, her anger overtook her.

"Attack!" she ordered.

Hela summoned a blade and darted towards Odin.

******

Loki and Sigyn heard the sound of blades clashing and knew the battle started. However, they had their sights elsewhere.

The Norns floated in a circle over the palace, and that was where they were heading. Loki had turned into a large bird to carry Sigyn into the air. He'd also cloaked them in hopes that they wouldn't see their approach.

As Loki circled the Norns, Sigyn aimed. She threw her spear, perfectly aimed at one of their hearts.

The Norn moved quicker than lighting to catch the spear.

"You think you can stop us, girl?"the deities spoke in unison. Loki and Sigyn reappeared in the air.

"Free my daughter."

"Her fate is bound."

"Then unbind it!"

"We cannot. We can only tie the knot in her destiny." Sigyn saw a golden rope between the three, constantly braiding. She knew Loki saw it, too.

Perhaps they could save her after all.

******

Hela had lost Odin in the blur of bodies. Her arms were stained with blood up to her elbows.

She'd already killed so many, yet it wasn't enough.

"Hela!" a voice called out. "It's been a while." She turned to see the Warriors Three, Fandral bearing a large grin. It fueled her anger furthermore. "Much has changed since you've been gone."

"Yet you're as pretentious as ever. And seemingly less funny than you think you are." He feigned shock, and Hela's fist trembled as she formed a new blade behind her back.

"Hela," Volstagg spoke. "It isn't too late to stop this. I know you're angry. You've been hurt."

"I've been betrayed. By all of you. You betrayed me, and it cost me everything."

"I know. That was wrong."

"What did it cost you, Volstagg? Hmm?"

"Hela..."

"It cost you nothing."

Hela moved quickly. The blade in her hand quickly became an axe swinging at Volstagg's head. Hogun barely managed to knock her off course, leaving Volstagg with only a scratch.

Hela stayed on her feet, suddenly aiming an onyx bow at Hogun. At the last moment, she changed her aim to Fandral and shot.

She hit Fandral twice before having to dodge Hogun.

"No!" Volstagg shouted.

Hogun moved towards Hela as Volstagg rushed to Fandral.

"You will not win," Hogun said.

"I never do."

Hogun swung his mace, which Hela had thankfully avoided. In an attempt to make a final blow, Hogun slammed the mace into the ground as Hela dodged it. She shot a blade up from the ground to snap the chain.

While she focused on that, he threw a blade at her. It landed between her ribs.

"Impeccable aim," she told him before pulling out the blade. She threw it back at him.

As he dodged it, she summoned a spike from the ground and sent it through his back. He cried out as he floated in the air, unable to move.

"You always were one of the better fighters," Hela said. "It's a shame your skills were wasted."

Another spike branched from the larger one to go through his heart.

"I tried to be civil, Hela," Volstagg said as he stood behind her. "But you've gone too far."

"Civility is dead. Care to join it?"