Chapter 4

"My queen, you are in a rather good mood today," Troy said, seeing Hela smile atop her throne.

"Yes, I suppose I am."

"Can I ask why?"

"No."

"Alrighty then. It's just nice to see you happy."

"Why, thank you, Troy."

The general approached Hela with a bow, making her smile fade.

"Your highness, if I may," he said.

"What is it, general?"

"The army is ready to fight when you are. We've got enough soldiers to survive the climb up the tree and still have plenty left to storm Asgard without those that fall."

"Oh. Well done, general. Let's give the soldiers at least two days to rest. I have no doubt you've worked them hard. Besides, we know not what will happen after Asgard falls. Everyone needs a chance to say their goodbyes."

"Of course." He bowed his head before leaving.

"Troy, you go, too."

"I beg your pardon?"

"Go. I know you have friends and family here. A lover, too, if I'm not wrong."

"You never are. Thank you, my queen. Bless you."

As he left, she fiddled with the sunflower necklace. She could not wait for it to be nightfall.

When it finally came, she rushed to Yggdrasil, calling out to Heimdall.

"Welcome back, Hela," he said.

"Ragnarok is coming. Soon. I... I'm sorry. I'm trying to stop it. I don't know what else I can do. I—"

"Hela, darling," Loki said, wrapping his arms around her. She hadn't seen him there at first so she was taken by surprise. He was just thankful she had a smaller version of her helm on so it didn't poke him when he held her. "Just breath. Calm down."

"They're ready to fight. I did this. Twenty years ago I started Ragnarok."

"It's alright, Hela. It isn't your fault."

"But it is."

"No. Look at me." She stood tall, meeting her father's gaze. "There is nothing you could have done to stop this. But I will tell you this: I am proud of you, Hela. I am so, so proud."

"What could you possibly be proud of?"

"It is no easy task to rule anyone, living or dead. I can tell that your people adore you. You have taken time to organize an army, and you have the patience of a true queen."

"Well, I... I suppose so."

"I know so."

"They won't attack you, Father. I told them not to. I know for certain that Mother is is Valhalla, and they aren't to touch her either. I know you will fight them, but find her first. Find her and tell her how much I love her."

"You can tell her yourself."

"No. I know how this will happen. Once I truly set foot on Asgard without the help of Heimdall's sight, my power will consume me. I will lose control to my desires if vengeance. Mother will see the monster I really am."

"Hela, stop it. You are not a monster. And I have no doubt your mother has heard the prophecies. I know she understands."

"I bet she'll tease you about your grey hair, too."

"She probably will," Loki admitted with a smile.

"She'll probably mention your age lines."

"What are you trying to tell me?"