Chapter 2//In which we go on a mission

About 6 hours later, we reach our destination, and both Natasha and I hop out of the helicopter. We start walking to the hotel we'd be staying at.

"You ready?" I ask, and Natasha nods. We walk into the hotel, and I stop at the front desk, grabbing our keys. We go up to our room, and I open the door. I stand in the doorway, seeing what could have only been Fury's doing.

"What's wrong? Come on, move." Natasha growls, and I walk in, dropping my bag by the door.

I laugh nervously, seeing only one bed, also seeing Natasha stop in her tracks. "I had nothing to do with this." I mutter, my cheeks burning. It takes Natasha a few seconds to recover before she stalks in. I could tell she was upset, and maybe... embarrassed? I stop thinking about it, as it was none of my business, even though I really wanted to know what she was thinking.

"I- I can sleep in the bathroom if you're uncomfortable." I stutter, grabbing my bag and looking inside it to hide how red my face probably was.

"It's fine. The bed is big enough for us to sleep in together without touching." I nod, grabbing my toothbrush and heading to the bathroom. The sun was setting, but I didn't care. I needed an excuse to get out of there before I exploded with embarrassment.

As soon as the bathroom door clicks shut, I set my toothbrush on the counter and grab my phone, sliding down the door. I pull up my text messages, and type one out to Fury.

Really? One bed? You're not funny.

I send the text, waiting for a response, which I don't get. Fury left me on read?! I hear a knock on the door, and I quickly get up, opening it.

"Are you done in there?" Natasha asks, and I nod, walking out. Why am I acting like an idiot? I mentally curse at myself, grabbing my bag.

"Do we have to do anything tonight?" I shout, and see Natasha poke her head out of the bathroom.

"No, that stuff starts tomorrow. Tonight we get to relax." I nod, trying to think of what we could eat. "Oh, and before I forget, I ordered a pizza!" "Pizza sounds good!" I reply, grabbing the tv remote.

About half an hour later, both Natasha and I are eating pizza, her lounging on the bed and me sitting cross-legged on the floor. The tv blares in the background, but I think that we were both ignoring the boring news cast.

A few months later, we have to go to a party. What is unfortunate is that we have to go to keep up appearances for the mission. I grab my dress and a pair of shorts, stalking into the bathroom. I already knew I wasn't going to enjoy tonight, seeing as I had to wear a dress.

I hate dresses. I hate dresses with a burning passion.

I come out of the bathroom, pouting. "Oh, come on, Alex. It looks really cute on you." Natasha says, having slipped into her dress in record time.

"I don't like dresses. No, wait- I hate dresses. I hate anything that isn't pants." I say, scowling.

"So, you don't like mine?" Natasha asks, and I finally see the marvelous red dress she was wearing.

"I meant I don't like dresses on myself, but they are a necessary evil on this mission." I amend, and Natasha nods.

Gods, the restraint it was taking for me to not kiss her right now. She looked so amazing in that dress, and I wanted to be the only person who saw her in it...

I shake my head, trying to physically get rid of that thought. "Something wrong?" Natasha asks, and I hear a slight tinge of worry in her voice.

"Oh, no. Just got a cold chill." I lie through my teeth, and Natasha narrows her eyes at me, but doesn't press. I internally sigh, telling myself that I had to stay away from thoughts like that for tonight, no matter how hot she looked...

I rub my face, and see Natasha grab my arm. "Don't rub your makeup!" Natasha says, and I roll my eyes.

A few minutes later, we arrive at the party, 'fashionably late'. "Why couldn't we have gotten here earlier? I want to go already." I mutter, trying to find Natasha in the crowd.

"You saw how many people were entering at the same time as us. Fashionably late just gives you an excuse to be late. The later you arrive, the less time you have to spend at the party." I hear Natasha's voice through the comm device in my ear, trying to keep up with a conversation at the same time.

I feel my phone buzz in my small hand purse, and I pull it out, seeing Fury's number. We don't actually keep him as a contact, but every SHIELD agent knows his number, in case something happens.

"Uh- excuse me, I have to take this." I tell the man who was talking to me, and he nods. I quickly make my way to the bathroom, accepting the call.

"Hello?" I ask, panting. I'd had to duck between so many people to get in here before I lost the call, and I was kinda out of breath.

"Hello, Alexandra. How is your mission going?" I hear Fury's voice, and it helps me calm down a little.

"Good. We're doing good right-" I stop when I hear gunshots. I hear a hiss of pain through the comm device in my ear, and drop my phone. I pick it back up, my hands shaking.

"Sorry to cut our chat short, but I gotta go. Talk to you later." I say before I hang up, shoving my phone in my shorts before running out the bathroom. I look around, and see something I never thought would be possible.

Natasha was laying on the floor, a bullet wound in her shoulder, another in her leg. I see a man standing over her, the gun pointed at her head. "Who's friend is this?" the man shouts, looking around. I slowly take my gun out of the waistband of my shorts, then point it at the man's head.

"Drop the gun. Unless you want to die." I say, keeping one eye trained on Natasha, who was groaning.

"Oh, so this pretty lady is your friend? I think I might just have fun with this." The man smirks, leaning closer to Natasha. I step closer, and the guy swings his gun towards me, along with his head. I blink, unfazed.

"Ok, and?" I ask, and the man stares at me, confusion on his face. I quickly point the gun down, shooting his knee before running to Natasha. "Come on, you big lump." I mutter, dragging her outside, towards the car.

"STOP HER!" I hear a roar behind me, and I huff.

"Gods, this is a horrible idea." I whisper, picking Natasha up, bridal style. I carry her to the car, carefully putting her in the passenger seat before I hop in.

I pull into the street, and zoom towards the hotel. When I pull up in front of the hotel, I get out, going to the passenger side. I grab Natasha again, seeing how pale her face was. "You're a pain in my ass." I mutter, carrying her up to our shared room, ignoring the looks I got.

We get to our room, and I grab one of my towels off the floor, laying her down on it. I run to my bag, ignoring the blood all over my hands. I search through my clothes, trying to find my first aid kit, which I see at the bottom. I grab it, jogging back to Natasha, whose face was even paler than it was seconds ago.

I take a deep breath, leaning down next to her. "Tell me where it hurts the worst, Natasha." I say, and she groans.

"My back-" Natasha gasps as I carefully roll her onto her side, seeing a bullet inches away from her spine.

"Shit." I mumble, grabbing my tweezers and antiseptic. "This is going to sting, but I need you to stay still." I say, then slowly start working on her wounds.