Chapter 4//What the-

A few months pass, and suddenly we're in 2010.

"Happy birthday to me." I whisper, crossing off the last day of March on my calendar. I smile, then sigh when I hear my phone buzz. I pick it up, seeing a text from Fury. He had another number, and only a select few knew it. I was one of those few people. I frown after I read the text, flopping backwards onto my bed, reading it again.

Really sorry, I know it's your birthday, but you're needed in New Mexico. Coulson's already there, but I think they may need your help. Clint's coming with you. You leave in an hour.

I sigh, pinching the bridge of my nose. I grab a bag, stuffing a few things in it, including my uniform and a first aid kit. I quickly pack everything I need, and head out to the roof, seeing Clint already there. "Ready?" Clint asks, and I nod, stepping into the helicopter.

About 4 hours later, we land in the middle of a desert. "You sure this is where we're supposed to be?" I shout, befuddled.

"Yep, these are the coordinates we were given. You probably have about a 5 minute walk, going east before you see it." the pilot shouts back, and I nod.

"Thanks!" He nods, and starts flying the helicopter away. "God, how much sand do you think we're gonna get in our shoes?" I ask Clint, who shrugs. I put the strap of my bag on my shoulder, slinging it across my waist before we start walking.

About 5 or 6 minutes later, we see a large set up, dozens of white tents with people bustling around them. "Guess we found it." I say, and when I go to take my next step, I fall down the sand dune. I stop at the bottom, and feel eyes on me. I shake my head vigorously, trying to get the sand out of my hair.

"I'm going to guess Fury sent you?" Coulson asks, running up, and I nod. I sneeze, sand coming out of my nose and mouth.

"I'm never going to get this sand out of my hair." I grumble, and Coulson laughs. I watch as Clint makes a more graceful descent, huffing as I get up and brush as much sand off my body as I can.

"Stupid sand." I say, and hear Clint laugh a few feet behind me. "Oh, ha ha. Laugh at the girl who fell down and got a mouthful of sand." I say, picking some up and throwing it at Clint. That backfired, because the sand got blown back towards me, getting in my eyes. I hear snickers from both Coulson and Clint, but I can't see them.

"Does anybody have some eye drops? I got sand in my eyes." I say, and hear even louder laughing. I give up.

The next day, I go to the town nearby, grabbing 2 cups of coffee. The stuff that was at the temporary base was disgusting, and Clint agreed with me, so I was getting coffee for the both of us. I stop at the pet shop on my way back, petting the dogs and kittens.

"Have a good day, miss." the guy behind the counter says, and I smile.

"You too." I say, picking the two coffees back up and going outside, stepping into the small 2 passenger car we were using to go back and forth between the town and the base.

About 20 minutes later, I pull up outside the base, seeing Clint standing in a cage hanging from a crane. I step out of the car, the coffees in my hands. I shut the door with my foot, the slam alerting Clint to coffee. I watch as he quickly scrambles down, and runs towards me.

"Hey Alex." Clint says, grabbing a coffee. I grab the one in Clint's hands before he drinks it, holding out the other one.

"You grabbed mine." I say, and Clint drinks his coffee in almost 2 seconds. I take another small sip of my coffee, not caring that it was lukewarm at this point.

A few hours later, I put my hair up into a long ponytail, then wrap the ponytail around the base, creating a bun. I grab my other ponytail holder, securing the bun in place before I step outside.