Chapter Four

A tangy wind pierced the air, carrying the scent of an oncoming rain. Landslide's wings were tugged and tossed by the strengthening gust. Lightning flashed like SeaWing scales in the pitch black clouds.

Speaking of SeaWings... She glanced around at the army around her. It was a charming mix of sandy gold and ocean hues, like jade and sapphire, blending like a shoreline. Landslide craned her neck to get a comforting sight of their commander. She remembered his name to be Shark.

How do I know that? She hesitated. Shark had never revealed his name to her. Maybe Landslide had accidentally been eavesdropping again?

But the army she was facing was more than unsettling.

Thoughtful rows of ruby and gold mingled with the dull MudWings. Burn's alliance. Her alliance. Not anymore... Landslide reminded herself, almost regretfully.

But the most unnerving sight of all was Burn's imposing, massive, battle-scarred, caramelized sand figure. What if she saw Landslide?

And almost as if the thought had summoned her, Burn whipped her head in a dark glare, eyes directly locked on the traitorous MudWing.

No! Landslide internally begged as Burn launched closer. A flurry of clashing scales flashed around her as the armies leapt into battle. "Get away from me!"

Burn tackled her to the ground and slashed at her chest, battering her with her wings. Landslide curled to try and protect her vulnerable areas as the SandWing queen continued to strike.

A sharp roar, a venomous sting. Landslide screamed in agony as Burn's poison barb plunged into her shoulder blade. The MudWing snaked her tail around Burn's neck and flung her off. Landslide clutched her shoulder, pained face twisted like a candy cane.

Burn charged back, tail poised to strike at her heart. Landslide closed her eyes. I guess I deserve this...

But suddenly, Burn collapsed. Black veins crept over her, and the princess let out one last cry before falling limp. What?..

And it wasn't long before another command. "Retreat! Queen Blister is dead!"

Blister? Landslide looked around for the SandWing princess. She's not here. But does that mean Blaze is the queen?

The armies faded, and the echoes of their war cries blew away with them. It was not just her, Boulder, Hazel, Boar, Rocky, and...

Her heart leaped at the sight of a friend. Earthquake!

Five more dragons, giant, swooped down. One a tawny gold... SandWing?, another a deep SeaWing, another a burnt orange MudWing, another a pitch dark NightWing, and one... a RainWing, with an odd array of teals and tangerines. The dragons each grabbed a MudWing and began to ascend. "Don't worry, we've come to save you."

But Landslide was left there. "Wait, Dragonets! What about me?" Her heart and mind raced. Was this the price she had to pay for siding with Blister? "Please! What about me?"

With a jolt, Landslide's eyelids flew open. What she'd expected to see was a dark, chilling, yet oddly peaceful forest.

But instead, she woke to the acrid stench of smoke. Bright wisps of garnet swallowed the trees around them, and the campfire was scattered. The wind blew strong now, blasting undergrowth and ash and debris into the MudWing's eyes. She caught sight of Blister's, uncomfortable but resting, slender form. A trail of fire was snaking its way towards her wing.