how children grow.

Miyuki was different from her fellow higher-ups. She wasn't brittle, nor was she ignorant. On top of that, she was ambitious and embraced change, two very powerful traits to have together.

Ever since she was a student, she wanted to be the type of sorceress who could change the very foundation of which their world was built upon.

"Iekami." She said now, lacing her pale slender fingers together as she stared daggers at her colleague. "This problem no longer concerns Miyazaki, so please stop bringing him up. We heard it from Gakuganji himself, the boy is dead, or are you presuming he is lying?"

"I don't expect you to be able to understand my reasons for concern, it has never quite been your area of expertise after all." Iekami replied shrewdly.

"Kita raises a good point." Gakuganji took her side. "Our issue now is Sasano Kaede and covering up the carnage she left behind before committing suicide."

Suicide, it wasn't entirely a lie. Even if Naoko hadn't done the job for her, it's likely that Kaede would've ended her own life somewhere further down the line. It would've been the dignified path, to die knowing that she was never caught, and death never scared her anyways.

Miyuki remembered the sheer amount of venom in her voice when she spoke of her family, hating her father, hating herself. She was climbing an icy hill with nothing but her bare hands, she was bound to slip eventually.

"In all honesty, Sasano was an incredible student. She would've been a very fine sorceress, she and Miyazaki both." With a cold smile, she met Iekami's ghostly face as she spoke. "Please, next time you plot the death of one of our students, do let us know before you act. Connecting with the families and friends of our dead is a stressful task, especially for those two, who had scarce any family to start with."

Iekami's mouth tightened into a thin line. Tension crackled like lightning in the small room. "They were both dangerous. Even you can't deny it."

"I certainly won't deny that you are worse than both of them combined." With a scoff, Miyuki fanned herself with her hand. "You and your extremist ideals, you're no better than Geto Suguru."

"Don't you think you've said enough?" His voice was dangerously low now, his blank eyes cold enough to freeze an ocean swell.

"What is it that teenagers say nowadays? Ah yes. Fuck off."

"No need to get reckless with your words." Another spoke up. "We are all aware that you're still angry about Aihara Menami."

"And am I wrong to be?" Miyuki flared in bitter anger. "She was worth more than every one of you old fossils. She was a doctor with a good heart, and all you can think about now is how to control her students like they're nothing more than dogs to be trained. Each and every one of you disgust me!"

Gakuganji coughed into his fist before things could get even more heated. "Let us disperse for the day, I believe there is nothing to discuss if we cannot all do so with a clear and calm mind." He aimed the last words to Miyuki.

Iekami trapped her in the hall on her way out, but she met him head on, as befitting one of the few people who did not fear the man.

"I'm surprised you can still walk on your own. Despite only being a few years older than myself, you look like you're already halfway into your own grave." She commented flatly.

He could only silently express his disapproval, his hands tucked into his sleeves. Miyuki had been like this her whole life, brazen, stubborn, and somehow never learned when to stop running her mouth. As her senior, both now and when they were students, he often wondered whether she was the way she was just to spite him.