Part 35 - Moonstone

Are you going crazy?

"Conejita," Camilo says, "You gotta get your arm fixed..."

You whip your head around and glare at Camilo. "NO! AND IF YOU EVEN CONSIDER-"

Camilo raises both hands in the air. "Geez- calm down..."

"DON'T TELL ME TO CALM-"

The door opens and your mother comes running in. "What? Who's dying- oh." Her face falls as she sees your look of rage. "What happened?"

Camilo looks at you and you look away, rage turning to sadness as salty tears leave streaks on your flushed cheeks. Your eyes overflow and you bury your face in your hands, crying for no apparent reason. "Hey-" Camilo says, his face changing into an unreadable expression. You scoot away. 

"I'm sorry, I-"

"It's alright," Camilo interrupts. Your sadness solidifies back to rage.

"STOP INTERUPPTING ME OR SO HELP ME I WILL-" your mother puts a hand on your shoulder.

"Y/n," she says harshly. Camilo's face is unreadable as he looks away. 

"It's fine, Mrs. L/n."

Your mother smiles at Camilo. "Call me Y/m/n (your/mothers/name)."

Camilo looks uncomfortable as he nods. Your father strides into the room, his confident strides changing as he notices the look on your face. "Y/n, mija?" he asks you. You glare at him.

"Stop. Just stop," you say, your voice breaking at the last word as you start to cry again. "I'm sorry," you whisper. Camilo looks at your strangely, before turning his gaze to your father.

"Oh," your father says, realization dawning on him as he sighs. "Y/n, for the next few days, your emotions are going to be very... strange. You just discovered your first power, so.."

"So you have the attitude of a PMSing bear," Camilo finishes for your father, earning a laugh from you. 

"PMSing bear? Is that the best you could do?" you ask Camilo, laughing. You laugh until your sides hurt, and you double over, clutching your stomach. Camilo seems pleased, and leans back. "Okay," you say, wiping tears from your eyes, "But really, I'm just going to have to live with this until they come?"

"Yeah..." your father says, turning to Camilo. "Camilo. Don't be too hard on my daughter. She's going through a lot right now, okay? Anyway, I got samples of Moonstone and Fireblaze." Your father hands you a shimmery, white metal, and a orange, warm metal. They are wrapped in a silk material, one that freezes your hands. 

You nod and feel tears burn your eyes, not wanting to spill them in front of Camilo. Camilo seems to notice, because he puts an arm around your shoulder and pulls you into him. After a few shaky breaths, you push away from the beige warmness of Camilo's ruana. "Something feels wrong..." you whisper, your fingers wrapping around the end of your dress. You get up and run out of the room, ignoring your parents' calls. Camilo runs after you. After catching up with you, he intertwines his fingers with yours. You pull the two of you over to casita, where frantic yelling pierces your ears. You run into the living room and scream.

Lying on the ground is the body of Maria Cordoba.

With a dagger in her chest.

Made of Moonstone.