Part 40 - Reunion

4 more days.

At noon, church bells ring exactly four times, signifying that four days are left until the madness begins. After hearing them, you grab your sketchbook and head home, where your mother has a plate of food ready for you, and a note. "Once you finish eating, come to Casita. Love, Mama."

You quickly gobble up the food and half run to Casita. Outside the doors is Mirabel, Alma, Camilo and your parents. Camilo looks anywhere but you, but Mirabel comes running up to you and hugs you. She turns to Alma. "So why did you bring us here, Abuela?" Alma sighs. 

"We have four days left. We need to do everything to protect the village," Alma looks around at all of you, "Here is the plan: you three will lead all of the children to a safe house built deep in the woods. You will stay there with the children. Anyone over 18 will help fight, help prevent them from getting whatever they want. Got it?"

You widen your eyes in outrage. Camilo seems to be thinking the same thing. "What!" he splutters, "We were the ones who-"

"Did you ever come face to face with them, Milo?" Abuela asks. Camilo shakes his head, backing down. You notice your anger at everyone has calmed down, making it safe for you to talk. Finally, you feel normal. 

"But I did," you say, "And they're after me. Anything else they pretend to be after is a decoy. So, if I'm with the kids, that puts them in danger. Besides, I can take care of myself. Please, Senora Alma. It's for the good of the encanto."

Alma glances at your parents, who give her a quick nod. "Very well," Alma says, "Y/n, you can fight and protect. But do not let them get you. Now, we must help the villagers put up our final defenses." The adults leave, and Mirabel glances at Camilo and you, grins, and leaves too. 

Camilo stays put, still looking anywhere but you. You decide to break the ice. "So," you say, "Um..."

Camilo's hazel eyes flicker to you for a second. You turn to leave, thinking nothing will be accomplished. "I should, uh, probably get going, Camilo."

Camilo grabs your arm. "Wait-" he says. "Y/n, you need to let me come with you. I can shift into you, I can be a decoy!"

"But why do you care?" you ask Camilo. "Why would you sacrifice everything for me?"

Camilo turns away from you. "Because I love you," he mumbles. You freeze. 

"Camilo, I-"

"No, y/n, it's okay. I shouldn't have gotten that mad."

"No! I shouldn't have read your mind without your permission, Camilo. I'm sorry." Camilo looks at you, straight in the eye. Unsaid things remain unsaid. Because they don't matter. Relationships are about working past your arguments. Not dwelling on them until the end of time. Nobody is perfect. 

You notice Camilo getting closer to you, and the next thing you know, your lips meet his in an embrace. You kiss, unaware of everything. Pure happiness. 

The two of you break apart after what seems like forever. You search Camilo's eyes for something - and you find it. A twinkle in his eyes. Something that you've seen only once before. But you barely remember it. You smile and fall forward, crashing into Camilo's chest. He wraps his arms around you and holds you. You put your arms up around his shoulders, holding on like you were scared to let go. 

You lean back, putting your weight on your own feet. Camilo runs a hand through his dark curls. "So, y/n. Take me up on my offer?"

"Camilo-"

"Come on, y/n! Please. I want to help you! How do you think I would feel if you died and I didn't try to stop it!" Camilo desperately pleads, worry and anger in his tone.

"How do you think I would feel if you died protecting me! We both know the chance of that is higher than the change of me dying. I don't want to lose you sooner than I already have to." Finally, you speak the truth that both of you have been trying to avoid.

Camilo sighs and looks down. "We'll find a way to fix it, y/n. There must be some way-"

You interrupt Camilo with a calm protest. "I want to spend as much time with you as I can. Sixty or so years may not be that significant considering how long I'm supposed to live, but their good enough." You turn red after realizing what you just said. Camilo looks up at you and smirks. 

"Come on, y/n," Camilo says for the trillionth time. You sigh.

"I don't want to do this, but you're probably never gonna shut up. Fineee. But if you die, I'm gonna kill you. Hunt down your ghost or something."

"Yeah, right," Camilo says sarcastically. "Like I'd let that happen."

Camilo puts an arm around you, leading you inside Casita to prepare for battle.

To devise your plan.

Author's Note:

Hey guys! I practically died with all of the schoolwork I had, but now it's summer break! Yay for more writing time!!! I've also decided to re-write this story cuz I don't like some parts of it. You can tell from the writing that I had good days and bad days. Anyway, the story will be updated with the edited version sometime after the last chapter is posted. I know nobody cares but I do :)