Languages

Arthur looks over from his spot at his table to his window where Merlin is sitting and does a double take. Merlin has a rather large book on his lap and his finger is running down the page as he reads.

That alone is a wonder, Arthur knew he could read and write but not even Arthur could read that fast.

Arthur stands and walks quietly to Merlin's place, stopping when he reaches Merlin's flank.

Arthur looks over Merlin's shoulder at the book, trying to see what he is reading.

He is shocked when he could only see scribbles. None of it made any since! There was nothing there readable.

Arthur's eyebrows scrunch, "Merlin, what on Earth are you reading?"

Merlin glances at him, he seems stunned. As if he didn't understand why Arthur was asking. "You can't read this?"

Arthur rolls his eyes, "no you idiot, it just scribbles."

Merlin blinks, and looks from the writing to Arthur and back again. "You... a prince, cant read this?" A single eyebrow raises, he would have made Gaius proud.

Arthur crosses his arms and resists rolling his eyes again, "we just went over this, and why should I know how to read this?"

Merlin again seems shocked, "well, because this is the language most of our allies speak and they don't understand English. Besides most of your decrees and some tax reports that you will get as king will be in this."

Arthur is stunned, then turns sheepish. "Well? Are you going to tell me what it even is?" Arthur hates having to look stupid in front of Merlin.

Merlin understands this but can't help chuckling anyway, "its Greek."

Arthur pales, he remembers his father once mentioning how hard it was for him to learn it. Arthur just pushed it off to the side, thinking it would have nothing to do with him.

Merlin's eyes soften just a bit, he knows Arthur enough to see the thoughts running through his head. "Would you like me to teach you?"

Arthur very much would, but would he ever say that? He puts a scowl on his face, "You? Teach Me? I don't need your help." Arthur grabs the book and walks a few paces, staring at the meaningless symbols.

Merlin sits there, amused. Waiting for Arthur to get over his arrogance.

Arthur finally sighs and his face drops in defeat, "will you, kinda maybe, help me? Please?"

Merlin chuckles and grabs parchment, pen and inkwell, sitting down at the table knowing Arthur will also.

Merlin writes the Greek alphabet at the top of the paper and begins their first lesson, much like his mother did all those years ago.