chapter thirteen

"Can I get you anything?"

I've been counting the tiles on the floor. The waitress's voice going one ear out the other. I've been questioning what I'm supposed to do now.

"Ma'am, are you okay?"

I snapped out of my thoughts and made contact with a petite middle aged women. She had blonde hair and her kind eyes actually showed concern.

"Um yeah, I'm okay. Can I have a coffee?"

She gave me a gentle smile and left behind the counter.

I turned my phone off because I didn't want to deal with explanations, I just want peace. I thought moving here would give me a fresh start. I never knew the person I wanted to start this new experience with would also be the one to ruin it.

I could avoid Milo, but I fucking live with Ariya. What am I supposed to do now? I have class tomorrow and have no idea what I'm doing. I had no idea what time it was but I knew that it is now dark out.

I had no choice but to turn my phone on, I have been at this diner for hours just staring at the floor. I need to figure out a plan.

The waitress came back with my coffee and sat it down with a smile.

I pulled out my wallet to pay but she said it was on her and to have a good night.

That simple act of kindness was exactly what I needed right now to stop me from going off the rails.

My phone turned on and I saw that the time said 9:30 P.M

I knew I have been here for a while but I didn't know I've been here for THAT long. As I expected my notifications were filled with missed calls and text messages from Milo.

Though what I noticed were that there were none from Ariya. Is she trying to hurt me? She didn't even have a glint of remorse in her eyes when she realized she had been caught.

She seemed almost... pleased?

What have I ever done for her but be there. What did I do for her to want to put me through this scenario again.

I finally opened my phone and read the messages from Milo:

nicole please you have to let me explain.

just meet up with me please.

i promise to you it wasn't what it looked like.

just text me back please nicole.

How could that possibly not have been what it looked like? How do you accidentally make out with someone.

I feel sick.

I walked outside to get some fresh air and think about what I'm supposed to do next. I sat down on the bench outside of the diner and sipped on my coffee.

I decided to call my brother. We haven't talked in a while since we've both been busy with school but I miss our talks.

He goes to my rival college... I know. It makes things very difficult for my mom.

I dialed his number and it took three rings for him to answer.

"Nicole?"

"Hi Noah."

"What's going on? do you need something? Are you okay?"

I let out a quiet laugh at his worried state.

"I'm fine Noah, Just need some brotherly advice."

"At this hour?"

"Damn you turn 22 and now 10 pm is late for you?"

"Shut up." I hear him laugh quietly. "What do you need?"

"Well I'm currently outside a 24 hour diner because I walked in on Ariya making out with my-" I struggle on what I'm supposed to call Milo.

"My um...the guy I've gone on a couple dates with."

It's silent on the other line for a few seconds before he speaks up.

"You don't want to go home?"

"Fuck no, I want to crawl into a hole and die." I say honestly.

I also have the urge to beat Ariya senseless but I don't tell him that.

"You can stay at my place."

My mood lightens "Really?"

"Yes really, I'll go get ice cream."

"Oh! Get-"

"Cookies and cream, I know." He finishes.

I laugh, a little more whole heartedly this time and hang up.

-

"I hope you have clothes I can wear to school tomorrow."

"I'll see what I can find." He rolls his eyes.

Noah kind of looks like the boy version of me. Both of us with light brown eyes and dark brown hair.

Noah has his own place, he stayed in a dorm his first year of college but decided that, in his words, "it wasn't his scene."

We played video games and caught up with each other for the rest of the night. I almost forgot about the shitty life I have to get back to tomorrow.

By the time I went to sleep it was one in the morning.

I'm definitely going to beat myself up for this when I wake up.

A/N so y'all have met noah!