Family Dinner pt2

Steve and Rhodey helped finish washing up the dishes in the kitchen, it was the only place that wasn't heaving with people and noise. This is how most of the parties ended, but occasionally Tony would be on the kitchen counter either dancing or confessing his love for Steve or Rhodey or sometimes both.

But tonight the party stayed very much in the more public part of the compound. It was an unspoken rule that nobody who wasn't in the 'inner circle' which was actually quite a big circle, entered the kitchen, living room or bedroom halls.

——

'Nat.' Wanda called. 'She's fallen asleep.'

Wanda gestured to a spark out Morgan who had fallen asleep on one of the couches cuddling mjolnir which she called 'Jonathan'.

'Let's put her to bed.' Nat walked over running her hand over the little girls forehead. 'Tell Pepper so she knows where to find her.'

Nat scooped up the 7 year old and placed the girls head onto her shoulder, she wandered past the doors that acted as a divider to the two parts of the building. Morgan had a room in the compound that she mainly shared with Pepper when Tony went away as he didn't like the thought of them being unprotected. It was the nicest room in the compound obviously.

Wanda caught up to them just as they entered Morgan's room, Nat gently put her into the bed and tucked the covers over her, she would just have to sleep in her party dress for now.

'Night Nat, I'm going to bed.' Wanda trailed out the room.

'Night.'

Nat sat down and sighed as watched the sleeping girl, her face fell sad as she reminisced on the life she could've had and what a great mother she could've been. Nat became so tranced in her imagination that she didn't notice the child wake up.

'Aunty Nat?' Morgan clambered.

'Woah.' Nat snapped back. 'Hey sweetheart, are you alright?'

'Yes i'm fine. Where is Jonathan?' Morgan giggled. 'Oh! I need my pjs!'

Little Stark ran out of her bed and opened her wardrobe which was bursting with clothes. She pulled out a pink pyjama dress and walked into the bathroom to change. Nat plastered a fake smile over her face to hide her true sadness.

'I'm readyyy!!' The little girl darted back to her warm bed after realising how cold it was.

'Night then little one.' Nat kissed her forehead. 'Sleep well.'

Just as Nat stood up to leave a little peep came from under the duvet.

'Aunty Nat, Can you sit with me whilst i fall asleep? It's a big house and i'm scared.'

Nat smiled softly and agreed, it didn't even take 5 minutes for the girl to fall asleep. Nat stayed stroking her hair. It was lucky the child had fallen asleep so she didn't have to see the tears that build up in Nats eyes, the tears that dripped onto her dress. But the little girl would never know how much her little life was craved by so many people.

Nat got up and headed for the door, she stood at it for a little while longer just to make sure Morgan didn't wake up.

'A sober Nat at a party? That's a first.' A familiar voice came from the other end of the corridor.

'Well enjoy it while it lasts, i had responsibilities tonight.' She wiped away the tears but not quick enough. 'I thought you would be making out with Tony by now.'

The voice was Steve and he had given up with trying to convince the others to shut up and go to bed.

Steve noticed the trail of tears that lead of Nats face and put two and two together.'Nat...' His voice trailed off.

'It's nothing Steve, i promise.' She wiped away the remaining tears.

'Excuse me but it doesn't really look like nothing' 

He brought her into a tight embrace, and said nothing. She secretly appreciated it massively but pretended to brush him off.

'It's fine i said Steve.' She scrambled out of the hug. 'I'm sorry. I'll see you in the morning.'

She ran down the corridor, regretting her every move there and then a part of her wanted to go back to Steve but decided against it. 

'Night bug.' Steve muttered softly. 

** i kind of cringed calling Nat 'bug' but i also think its a beyond cute nickname seeing as the height difference is massive and shes like a little bug to him (a very angry and fierce bug obviously.**