Nat and Steve pt3

Nat stayed silent, she felt her lip quiver. Did they really all think she was a monster? Or worse, unworthy of Steve? Her heart tightened with even the thought of it and she rubbed the back of her ear.

This was something Nat did when she felt threatened, it was a simple gesture something someone who didn't know her well would easily miss. But Steve didn't, his eyes watched her hand like a hawk following its every movement.

'Nat?' Steve's questioned.

They stayed at stale mate for a couple of minutes, both had something to say but both said nothing. They couldn't get the words out, the words to describe the pain. Even the words to describe their feelings.

'There's nothing i could've done Nat, i regret saying those things but you know how it is with Tony.'

Nat pushed past Steve and quickly slid open the door, she darted as soon as she reached the stairs in fear that Steve might follow her.

She wanted to forgive, she really did but it came at a cost and she wasn't ready to pay it yet.

----------------------------------------------------------

'Give him time Nat.' Wanda repeated for a 3rd time. 'It's not him who said it.'

'It's not that, it's the thought that they think that about me. I thought i'd escaped the life i lived before, but they said it so-.' She paused to think of the correct word. 'Casually. It was just slipped into conversation.'

'It wasn't casual Nat it was planned.'

'They planned to talk about me that way? People have been planning stuff now?' Nat became paranoid.

'It's not what you think, it's better than what you think. They want you and Steve together as much as i do.'

'They don't.' Nat muttered.

'They do Nat, they really really do.' Wanda was struggling to get the words out to explain the story due to Nats anger.

'You don't know everything Wanda, you can't even begin to guess what they were talking about. YOU didn't hear it, you didn't get one glimpse of the way they said it, so it's not up to you to tell me they are right. What they said was wrong. WRONG WRONG WRONG.' Nat slammed the door as she walked out.

**Nat has fr got a habit of walking out of places atm, but ig it makes a good plot**

She was pissed off, not at Wanda and not really at Steve but at herself. She had worked so hard for countless years to mask her emotions and mask her fear but it was all creeping out again. The trauma she faced in the red room boiled and bubbled tirelessly in the pit of her stomach and was now beginning to heave and shoot upwards.

'For fucks sake.' she gasped through tears.