Prologue

The warm glow of a fire lit up the forest as it cracked and popped. 

"and then..." one of the boys sitting around the fire whispered, "He steals your skin!" he suddenly shouted and grabbed the girl next to him. 

"Stop Nick!"  the girl jumped out of his hold. The whole group roared with laughter as they saw how scared Jenna looked. 

"I have a good story" suggested another. 

"Yeah right, Mal, as if the past two stories you've told haven't been total shit" Nick rolled his eyes at her. 

"That's why I've saved the best for last. In fact, I've experienced this one"

"Oh really?" said a redhead from across the fire.

"Yup" 

"Does anyone have any other stories they'd like to share?" asked Nick, hoping to skip on Mal's most likely cheesy story. No one raised their hand.

"There's a field not far from here that's used as a cow pasture" Mal began her story "I like to hang out there some nights cause the stars are really beautiful. I was hoping to get a view of the stars one night; it was nice for a while, but the sky clouded over and it began to rain. I had begun to leave, but I heard something like crying. The sound wasn't coming from any one direction it was like it was surrounding me. I was freaked and started walking home when suddenly a little kid just appeared in front of me and dang she looked... off, like she hadn't slept in days or something. Turns out she was making the noise, she was sobbing all over the place and when she saw me she looked up and just asked 'do you know where my mum is?'. I knew something was up so I just turned around and left. When I got home I then did some research, turned out a kid got lost long ago, and now she's been seen around the whole country stealing people's souls" 

There was silence for a second... and then Nick pipped up "That was the worst storytelling I've ever heard" everyone in the group started laughing. 

"Wait, what was that?" Jenna suddenly looked serious. The whole group went quiet, and then, as if on queue, a crying noise began to fade in, and it was quickly getting louder. 

"We need to get out of here now" Nick hurriedly said, putting out the fire and gathering his chair. Everyone followed suit, with people clambering to pack up their stuff and leave. Within only a matter of a minute, the site was empty, except for the sound of weeping that passed through the forest.