1 ~ A Departed Arrival

The Button House was practically buried in snow, and everything outside was white, making it look like the manor was in the middle of a blank void. The wind was raging too, making a terrible howling noise against the windows. The conditions outside caused the ghosts to huddle inside and watch the weather with curiosity of how much snow the blizzard would pile onto them. Allison got shivers just thinking about going outside, but despite this, there was still one ghost not in the house. Despite feeling the cold, Captain still thought it would be a good idea to do his daily run. He had managed to shave off one second of his usual 2 minutes 30 seconds by running in the cool night, so maybe he could beat his record again. 

Captain began his run, he actually liked the feeling of frost, it made him feel as if he was so unstoppable not even a blizzard would take him down. That feeling though, proved to be wrong, as he was, well, stopped.

 As the gates came into view the Captain saw something, a small figure standing out in the cold accompanied by the sound of weeping... What? Why was a child all the way out here? And with no parents? How? 

Captain ran up to the gates, as he approached he saw that the figure appeared to be a small girl, no older than 4 or 5, holding a teddy bear. 

The girl looked up as she saw a large man approach her, who was he? Where was her mum? Did he know? Was he dangerous? Where was her mum?  All the questions that she had only made her more scared, causing more tears.  All she wanted was her mother. 

"Do you know where- where is my mmm-mum?" the girl slurred and stuttered due to her crying. The Captain was surprised the girl was looking at him, right in the eyes, she sees him, but how? 

Was this some sort of joke? Why would there be a child all alone in the middle of the country? And if this was a joke, she could still see him, which was the most baffling of all. "I- uh- just- stay here." His usual clear and confident speech was replaced with stammering in his shock. He needed to get back to the house. 

The door flew open, "Allison!" Captain yelled "Allison! There's a girl outside the gates and she can see me!" 

The other ghosts heard and there was an outburst of talking, each ghost being more confused than the last.  

Allison rushed down the stairs "What?" she was in disbelief at what she was hearing "show me!" 

Captain led her out of the house with the other ghosts following close behind. The girl, thankfully, was still there, but she started to cower at the sight of so many people; she was terrified that they were going to hurt her. They were all silent, just staring at her, except for Allison who was, like the others, extremely concerned. 

"Oh, you poor thing you must be freezing!" Allison opened the gate to guide the girl into the house. She bent down and tried to take her hand, but she froze when the girl winced as her's passed through the woman's. Oh...

A collective gasp came from everyone and another uproar of voices talked over each other. 

"How could she just go anywhere? She's a ghost!" Fanny yelled 

"Where is she from?" asked Thomas 

"Why did she come here of all places?" Julian wondered 

"Who's she?" asked Mary 

But Captain just continued to stare. The only thing he was thinking at that moment was 'How?'. 

"Everyone calm down!" Allison's voice silenced the loud chatter, "We'll sort everything out, but our priority is to get her inside! Now would someone take her hand so we don't lose her?" 

"Right then" Captain was snapped out of his confusion and back to reality "come along then" and took the girl's hand without much thought and cut through the crowd, leading her to the house. 

-------------------------

A/N: Hey you guys! I hope you've enjoyed the prologue and the first chapter. I wrote these both back to back and I'm a bit rusty from not writing for so long, so I hope this is better than I think it is. I know this has been a little slow so far, but things are really going to pick up in the next chapter. See you later! :)