3~ Light in the Dark

"Um-" The Captain froze, "Sure"

What was even today? It seemed like the whole house had been flipped with this new face. Although it wasn't common, new ghosts weren't exactly a strange occurrence. But this- was something else. A random ghost showing up at the gates had never happened before, and it was even more strange that it was a child in more modern clothes. April was wearing something that was from the 70s, that time was not known for many child deaths, especially not in England.

Captain sat on the edge of the bed not really knowing what to do. He never taken care of a child before, most of his life had been about the military, why would he need to? But it wasn't like he never wanted one. Back when he was alive Captain would sometimes daydream about having a kid with Havers, he would usually imagine them going on a family outing or doing their child's hair, and they always looked so happy... oh so happy.

A gust of wind howled through one of the broken panes of the window, April pulled herself into fetal position, shivered and let out a whimper. Captain looked at the poor girl, and then he took off his suit jacket. It wasn't something Captain ever did, that suit had his most prized medals on it after all, but he figured that it would only be for a night. He gently maneuvered April so that he could properly swaddle her. Then Captain laid beside her and wrapped his arms around her. The warmth from Captain and his coat were enough to finally lull April into sleep, which allowed Captain to soon drift into darkness as well.

~
Light softly shown through the windows and birds chirped outside. Captain was running his fingers through April's hair, who was still fast asleep. He wondered to himself if he could ever be able to style or at least comb her hair, he would have to have help from one of the women in the house, but he didn't mind, he just didn't want to keep it a mess and have it getting in April's face all the time.

Captain was broken out of his thoughts when he heard a soft hum come from the little girl. She began to stir, rolling from her side onto her back, and then sitting up and opening her eyes.

"Good morning" April snapped her head towards Captain, but relaxed when she remembered he asked him to stay.

"Mornin'" April watched as Captain sat up in bed.    He looked much more casual then yesterday, instead of the powerful military suit he dawned before he was now wearing slacks over a dress shirt and tie.

April was still holding onto the Captain's coat when they both finally got out of the bed. For a second, Captain considered asking for it back, but decided against it. Instead he told April to stand in front of him, once she was he bent down and buttoned it up, then buckled the belt that was still hanging off it as tightly as he could (although it wasn't much use as however designed the thing clearly did not think a child would be wearing it).

"There we are" Captain said as he rolled up one of the sleeves as best he could. Once he was done he had to stifle a laugh, April was practically drowning in the suit, the thing was only a few centimeters shy of dragging on the floor.

"Come- come along then, let's properly introduce you to the others" Captain's voice warbled as he still tried to not break into a fit of giggles.

April took the man's hand and allowed him to lead her down stairs to where the rest of the ghosts were. As they drew closer to the living room Captain heard whispering.

"- but I think she said her name was April"

"Whatever her name was we still have to figure out how she can just wander around without boarders. If we find out how she could maybe we could too!"

Everyone stopped their conversation as they turned to look at the pair who had appeared in the doorway.

"Look! Capin's gone all soft!" Mary giggled and pointed. The others joined in with the laughing, amused by the sight of both the cute girl and the now casual look that Captain now wore.

"I guess we now have living proof the Captain does have a heart" Julian teased.

Captain just rolled his eyes "Alright everybody, just pipe down, will you? Or did you all forget that we have a guest?"

Everyone settled down and turned their attention towards April. There was dead silence, as April instead opted to hide behind one of the Captain's legs instead.

"Come along, introduce yourself" Captain looked down at April and softened his voice.

"Hi there love!" The scout leader bent down "My name's Pat what's yours?" Pat was pretty sure he heard her name last night, but he wasn't sure.

"April" the girl said, her voice quiet and muffled from burying her face into her bear.

----------

Hey ya'll, sorry I haven't updated in a while. I lost a lot of motivation for this thing in the middle of writing this chapter, so this is technically unfinished. I really wanna pick this back up, but I haven't been able to watch season 4, and since I wanna make this on the more accurate side I am going to wait for it to come out on HBO Max. But until then, please enjoy this chapter.