Headcanons/theories

■The smiler's smile isn't actually its mouth, rather it's a bioluminescent body marking. 

⁃The Bride (an entity that is exclusive to the level "The Blackout") is married to The Maker (an entity found in the level "The Whiteout"), and at one point in time they were separated and placed/found themselves in their levels. They are still trying to find each other, and the reason the bride is heard crying is that she wants to see her husband's face again. She follows around wanderers who end up on her level because she believes (or at least wants to believe) that they are her husband or know where her husband is. 

•While on the topic of the bride, she either was killed by the entities that reside in The Blackout or by dehydration and/or starvation. 

▾The backrooms itself as a whole are, in one way or another, alive. Or, made by an unknown and powerful being with a sick sense of entertainment. Or both. If the backrooms were in fact made by a sadistic/bored/cruel being, it could explain a few things IMO. Why there are so many levels, the strange and sadistic entities, and even the safe, habitable levels. 

⁌The Hounds are descendants of canids/wolves/dogs/dingos that no-clipped into the backrooms. Over the course of several generations, they became the hounds we now know. 

that no-clipped into the backrooms a very long time ago. Over several generations of surviving, they evolved into the entities we know today.

○The backrooms have existed for thousands of years, possibly longer. 

▵Some of the entities that reside in the many levels in the backrooms are in some way descended from organisms from the frontrooms (reality). Hounds from canids/wolves/dogs/dingos, Smilers (and frowners by extension) from some kind of bioluminescent fish, Hydroltis Plague from a strain of cholera, stuff like that.