Prologue

Hannah
*
"I'm afraid you won't be going home anytime soon, Hannah. Your heart is abnormally large and failing rapidly. Eventually, you will need a transplant, but for right now, we will need to keep you at the hospital with a heart monitor. Is there anyone you'd like for us to call?" The gray haired man stands a foot taller than me with sad blue eyes and a frown the size of Texas on his face.
"No. Just turn the light off, will you?" I climb into my temporary hospital bed and pull the blanket around me. The light flicks off, and I shut my eyes tight, willing the tears to stay back.
My greatest fears have been confirmed.

Tyler
*
"Tyler, you have something called cystic fibrosis. It's when-"
"I know what it means, doc," I interrupt, rubbing the lids of my eyes with my fingers. The darkness of the sky is all I can see through my window. All the lights of the town are off, just like all of the hope inside of me. Any light I once had in believing there was a chance I could get out of this hospital has vanished. "Guess you'll be seeing more of me, huh?" I fake a smile and pull the blanket to my chin.
"I'll let you get some rest, and we can discuss your options in the morning."
Great.