Respect

Kat

We didn't have to wait long, huddling around the fire, for our carriage and the wagon for the pavilion to arrive; they had set out from the castle at the same time as Merlin but at a more sedate pace. I would have rather rode, but sitting astride a horse with our long skirts hiked up to our bare thighs wasn't the best look for the future Queen and her sister. Never mind that it would have been cold. It dawned on me that I'd likely never wear another pair of pants. The thought was more daunting than I was willing to admit.

"Hey," Pat said, giving me a little nudge with her foot from her side of the carriage, "you okay? You're quiet."

I clasped my hands in my lap. "I guess I'm just starting to realize that this is real. It's sinking in, you know?"

She nodded. "Yeah. Things started to feel that way for me when I said yes to Arthur."

We lapsed into silence, listening to the rhythmic creak of the carriage, the jingle of tack, and the clop of horse hooves. We'd pulled back the heavy curtains to let in the bright sunshine, and I leaned over in just the right way to see our destination. The castle was formidable, huge, and loomed over the landscape. But, it was also beautiful with its colorful flags and pennants.

I sat back with a sigh. It didn't look any closer than it had five minutes ago. Merlin had told us the trip would take most of the day. I wasn't sure if my stomach was tied in knots because we were so far away, and I was anxious to get there or worried about Uther's possible reaction. Maybe it was a trap. Pat's next question echoed my thoughts.

"Do you think this is going to work? I mean, I know our appearance has changed, but..."

I nodded. "I'm concerned, too. I was just wondering if this wasn't just some elaborate plan to get us back in the dungeon."

"Surely Merlin wouldn't be involved in that?" Pat whispered.

"I don't think so. Nor do I think Arthur would be. But..."

"I still feel paranoid about it, too." Pat ran a hand through her hair, as was her habit, scowling when her fingers got tangled in the length.

We became quiet again, and soon, the sway of the carriage lulled me into a light sleep. I was startled awake when Pat called to me.

"Kat! Wake up! I hear lots of horses!"

In an instant, I was alert. I leaned over, heart pounding, to look out the window, and saw roughly twenty men in pristine uniforms carrying banners. Arthur was in front, dressed to impress. The carriage and escort came to a gentle stop, and Arthur and his men drew closer. Merlin rode out to meet him, and they clasped wrists in greeting.

We couldn't hear what was said, but we saw the moment Arthur's head snapped around to glare in our party's direction.

"Shit," we heard someone swear just out of sight behind us.

Pat stuck her head out, curious to see who had cursed. "It's the soldier that led those men," she said quietly when she pulled back into the carriage.

We watched as Arthur trotted his horse in our direction, drawing up short when he reached Pat's would-be-rapist.

"You want to explain, soldier, why your hands were on my Queen for any other reason than saving her life?" Arthur asked, voice calm yet raging.

The man's horse shifted in response to its rider's anxiety, the tack's lighthearted tinkling in direct contrast to the threat in Arthur's tone. "We didn't know, Sire."

Arthur's gaze pierced him. "Didn't know what?"

"That they were of noble birth and destined for your court, Sire."