Chapter 16

So, what does one do when they kiss their crush and have two days to process it? They avoid the problem.

Race has been running constantly, from his feelings, from his dad, from his really cute crush with red hair and a thing for bugs- everything. He hasn't even been to their closet in two weeks. He wasn't even sure if he was going to go to the Friendsgiving-Thanksgiving- thing at his house.

"No, you have to go!" Race rolled his eyes as he listened to Elmer's pleas, both of them walking down the hallway before school started. "You always go."

"Well, sorry to break habit", Race mumbled, stopping at his locker. "But I don't know about this year."

"What happened?" Elmer stared at one of his best friends, shouldering the strap of his bag. "Did we do something? I promise you-"

Race looked behind him to see the familiar redhead at his own locker, hood up and headphones on. He looks...terrible.

Elmer turned back with furrowed brows, finding Race's line of sight right at his brothers- "Oh my, God! Did you and Al-"

"Shhhhh!" Race covered his hand quickly, glancing back to find Albert was gone. "And yes. It was a complete accident! I'm sorry."

"For what?! I've been wanting this to happen since you've met!" Elmer jumped with glee, beaming. "I'm, like, your number one shipper."

"El, it's weird to ship real people."

Elmer shrugged. Race crossed his arms, sighing. "I really like him, Elmer."

"I know", the shorter boy responds, nodding. "He does, too."

"What?"

"You're not good at hiding your feelings, man."

"What am I going to do?" Race placed his head on his locker.

Elmer frowned, patting his shoulder.

——————

Albert couldn't stop replaying that kiss.

Every chance he's gotten, he's tried to speak to Race. But every time, the blonde as walked away quicker than a fly. "What else can I do?"

Mr. Jenkins hummed, turning in the lamps. He actually did invest in a few lanterns, and Albert was happy to see the closet illuminated. "Try talking to him, kid."

"I've tried that already, Mr. Jenkins", Albert groaned, throwing his head back. "He keeps running away."

The custodian sighed, shaking his head. "There's always been something I can't stand about you teenagers."

Albert furrowed his brows. "You kids are always so quick to give up when nothing goes your way.

"You try, you fail, then you stop. Guess what, kid? You're gonna try all of your life. It's called living. Everyone's trying to make it. Those of us who made it to the end, we didn't stop."

Albert put his head down, staring at the floor. "What's all that supposed to mean?"

"Try until you can't do anything", Mr. Jenkins advised, looking the younger. "Somewhere along the lines, you'll do okay."

Albert looked up at him, a small smile on his face. He looked towards the door as the bell rang, signaling the end of lunch. "Thanks. That's good advice."

Mr. Jenkins chuckled. "Yeah. How do you think I divorced my first wife?"

———

No, Albert didn't try grabbing Race's attention after that. He knew, however, that he had one week to do so.